2004 EXPLORER XLT 4

2004 Ford Explorer

Anonymous

March, 26, 2013 AT 5:11 PM

2004 Explorer XLT 4.0L 6-cyl gasoline; gas mileage way down to about 12-13 mpg, running very rich, had diagnosis performed, was told the "fuel pressure regulator" located at the front of the fuel rail is stuck open or not functioning. Told about $350 for part, but cannot locate equivalent part on any auto parts sites. Is the name correct, or is the device known as something else?

March, 26, 2013 AT 5:33 PM

How long since a tune-up? Any applicable trouble codes? Use a gage and check fuel pressure. My info says fuel pump regulator is in gas tank, part of the fuel pump assembly.

rlothian

March, 26, 2013 AT 6:21 PM

Trouble code read "high fuel pressure", "running rich bank 1 and 2", don't remember the code. Took the vehicle to mechanic who diagnosed fuel system condition, checked fuel pump pressure (5 psi too low), checked rail pressure (10 psi too high), took vacuum line off the "fuel pressure regulator" at front of rail, pressure is meant to drop by about 10 psi, did not change without vacuum, which lead to diagnosis of faulty fuel pressure regulator. He also recommended replacing fuel pump and fuel filter. Total cost of $900 with labor. No tune-up ever, all original engine equipment including fuel and ignition systems components. I did replace the MAF sensor recently when vehicle began rough-idling and stalling.
My question is what is the component called that bolts on (two torx bolts) to front of the fuel rail, and has a small-diameter vacuum line coming of the top of it? I can't find it in any of the online parts stores, but do remember the mechanic telling me that it is a motorcraft part only. Thanks for your help.

March, 26, 2013 AT 8:18 PM

If it looks like the picture, it is a fuel pressure sensor. The picture came from rockauto. Com

rlothian

March, 27, 2013 AT 12:17 PM

Thanks, I found it, it is the Fuel Injection Pressure Damper, Ford PN 9F775. Rock Auto has it for $166, Ford for $380.

March, 27, 2013 AT 3:29 PM

I hope you get it going your way.

Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Replace Fuel Pump Relay