Terrified

MARTTYB
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
Last night my 2004 explorer stalled on highway would not start. The engine just stopped and I was lucky to get it off the highway. All the lights still worked, it would turn over but not start and it "shook" the engine when I tried to start it. Very scary! It was midnight along a busy highway. Anyone else? Any ideas?
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 8:24 PM

Cranks but no start condition:Do below to determine whether it's a fuel or spark issue:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 10:31 PM
MARTTYB
Thank you very much rasmataz this is very helpful. I've been gathering info all day to help my husband narrow down the possibilities. It looks like alot of people have or have had the same problem. Some of them it's when they slow down, or do 35 mph on cruise control. I wasn't doing either of those things. We did try to listen for the fuel pump when we went to move it farther off the shoulder but the big trucks were constant so we couldn't hear. I have seen alot today that people said they put it in neutral and it started so I told my husband to go try that on his way home from work. When we tried to start it today it didn't do that rough shaking in the engine sound like it did last night. Thank you again this information will be very helpful.
Martty
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 4:36 AM
MARTTYB
We borrowed a code reader and checked it this morning (still won't start) and we came up with these codes. PO 606, PO 0068, P2106. Trying to find out what each is and if all three showing up together mean one definate problem. One is PCM Processor Fault.
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 6:10 PM
MARTTYB
Haha ok boy did I screw that up! P0606, P0068, P2106 are the codes.
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 7:10 PM
MARTTYB
Ok first of all the codes were old from before we owned it they were not cleared when fixed previously. As for our problem it was the harmonic balancer that came apart and destroyed the crank sensor. $353.00 and that included towing and the part was $197.00. He had it less than 12 hours we are very very happy!
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 6:12 AM