I was hearing clunking noises in the engine

CARIESCHMIDT
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER

I was hearing clunking noises in the engine. I took suv to mechanic. They changed the transmission fluid & filter. The next day I pulled up to a stop sign. At my turn to cross I pushed the gas & nothing happened. I put the brake back on & a few seconds later I heard & felt it shift into gear. Took suv back to mechanic. They checked oil level which was fine. They drained the oil & took off the bottom pan to check out things & run diagnostics. They told me it is either the forward drum or the overdrive sprag, but wouldn't know for sure until the took it all apart. I called around to a regular transmission shop to ask questions. One shop told me they would not replace either w/out also replacing the converter. Does this diagnostic sound correct? Is it necessary to also replace the converter? What should be the price range of this repair? Can I drive until it is repaird?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 1:57 AM

It sounds possible. I would also recommend replacing the converter. As far as a price, it is hard to say without knowing what is wrong. A full rebuild is around 2K.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 1:59 AM
CARIESCHMIDT

Can I drive it for a day or 2 until I get it fixed without causing damage?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:04 AM

That is something I can't answer. I'm not sure what the problem is. I do have a question. You said the noise was from the engine. Why did they service the transmission? Also, did the noise go away when they serviced the trans?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:05 AM
CARIESCHMIDT

The noise sounded like it was coming from that area. At least the front 1/2 of the vehicle. The serviced the transmission because they said they seen a leak & it was low even though I said there were no drip spots in my driveway. I drove it home without hearing it but I described what happened the next morning. When it did engage into drive I drove onto work & felt it lag slightly a couple of times, but the noise went away.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:11 AM

I can't think of anything in the transmission that would make that noise and be fixed by servicing the transmission.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:13 AM
CARIESCHMIDT

Ok thank you, so it sounds like I have a bigger problem than the oil level. So can I safely drive it for a few days before I get it repaired? They mechanic has me believing I'll do more damage and possibly need a complete transmission repair if I drive it at all.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:17 AM

I hate to say it, but I would suggest having the problem repaired before driving it. It can do more damage.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:19 AM
CARIESCHMIDT

Ok thank you.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:21 AM

Sorry for the bad news. I hope I helped.

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 2:24 AM