Low Power

LEODAJIM
  • 2004 FORD ESCAPE
2004 Ford Escape, 3.0 V6, While driving, getting an air blowing sound when pushing the gas, and a lack of power, takes a lot longer to gain speed. It seems I have some kind of a compression issue.
Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 12:33 PM

MHPAUTOS
Silly question, but are all the spark plugs still in the heads?

-1
Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 12:34 PM
LEODAJIM
First let me correct, the engine is automatic.
Not a silly question at all, b/c before this issue, I was getting cylinder misfire codes in wet weather along with some chugging, but then in dry weather the next day, no more chugging, and the engine light went off.
I bought new plugs anyway due to 95,000 miles, haven't put them in yet, hopefully tomorrow. Do you think the air blowing noise could be coming from the head?
-1
Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 12:43 PM
MHPAUTOS
Check that there is no exhaust leak at the manifolds, this will chug, check that there is no obvious exhaust pipe leaks as well, do a scan as well as there will be a set fault code even with the light now off.

Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 12:52 PM
LEODAJIM
Mark, thank you. That's the first bottom-line, common sense advice I have received regarding this issue. The guy at my local parts store said b/c the light went off, that no code would be read. I guess he was just being lazy. I am going to change the plugs, and look for any leaks, and go from there.
Take care
Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 12:57 PM
MHPAUTOS
OK, do that and let me know how you get on, **** luck,

Mark (mhpautos) Australia.
Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 1:04 PM
LEODAJIM
Well, I changed three of the plugs, 4-5-6, which I'm sure you know are just under the engine cover. My misfire codes were only on cylinders 4 and 5, so I wasn't going to tackle the intake manifold for plugs 1-2-3 just yet. I will have to see if the misfire issue returns when the weather is wet again.
Onto the low power issue, when I started the engine cold, I looked under the vehicle, and I could see exhaust steam coming from under the engine, I am assuming there is an exhaust leak at or right around the manifold area. Am I correct to assume this is where I am losing power due to lost compression, and where I am hearing the loud 'whooshing' sound when I push on the gas? It seems the sound is right behind my dash/firewall, so that would put it right at the manifold area.
Again, thanks for your help.
Saturday, December 4th, 2010 AT 8:38 PM
ESCAPE OWNER
The misfiring will send unburned fuel into the Catalytic Converter thereby clogging it. This is a common problem with Escapes. Don't drive it when misfiring and get the problem fixed. The wooshing sound might be a blown hole in the EGR. When dry and running fine. Try spraying water on the coils one at a time to determine which ones might be the problem.
Thursday, March 24th, 2011 AT 6:10 AM