2004 Ford Escape Check Engine Light

SHASHASHELBYYY
  • 2004 FORD ESCAPE
I drove my car with the gas light on until it stopped moving, I continued to turn it on and drive it until it would stop moving again. I did this until it would no longer move when I turned it on and put it in drive. I put $15 worth of gas in and got a quarter tank. I began driving it and it started to chug. The check engine light then came on and it is flashing. I checked my oil level and it is normal, the car was completely serviced less than a month ago. I am about to go to AutoZone and have them look at it, they suggested some sort of cleaner. They said the problem may be that a hose or pipe (not sure) was clogged causing me to lose fuel pressure. (This assessment was based off of a phone call) I have also been hearing that there is air in some hose or pipe. Please help! What do I need to do?
Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 12:53 PM

Amazing. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. Ford has had enough of a problem that they designed their fuel gauges to read "empty" when there's still quite a bit of fuel in the tank. That's to get you to buy more fuel before it gets low enough to allow the pump to overheat. To keep expecting the vehicle to run with no fuel is not understandable, but most likely the pump motor has been damaged. There is no air in the lines. That bleeds out automatically while you're driving.
Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 6:35 PM
SHASHASHELBYYY
Well yeah definitely not understandable to expect the car to continue to run without fuel but I was desperate. Ya know, broke college student attending a college that costs $60,000 to attend for a single year. I went to autozone and they ran the check engine light codes and it came up that the 5th cylinder was misfiring. They sent me off with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and told me to drive it for 100 miles and if the check engine light did not go off then I should return to them because it would most likely be a spark plug or one other thing. Now what you said. Pump motor. How much do you see that potentially costing me?
Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 6:42 PM
Sorry that I'm out of time due to a dying 'puter battery. I'll be back as soon as possible.
Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014 AT 5:16 PM
If the engine is running now, we can forget the fuel pump unless other problems develop later. For a single cylinder misfire, park plugs and wires are good suspects, and Fords have a lot of trouble with ignition coils on those engines that use individual ones for each cylinder. An easy way to identify a bad coil is to swap two of them, then see if the misfire code switches to a different cylinder.

Ford doesn't have much trouble with injectors, and those cleaners rarely solve an existing problem. They're better for general maintenance. If you DO suspect an injector problem, you can do the same thing as with the ignition coils. Switch them between two cylinders, erase the misfire code, then drive it and see if a code sets for the same cylinder or the other one.
Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 AT 10:01 AM