2004 Dodge Stratus tensioner for serpentine belt

JPARENO
  • 2004 DODGE STRATUS
I'm trying to replace serpentine belt, dont understand how to access the tensioner it's really buried, I found one nut on the front of it, loosened it, didn't do much, is there another one that has to be loosened?
Sunday, April 19th, 2015 AT 8:22 PM

To remove the belt, you need to move the tensioner away from the belt. It is spring loaded and hinges at its mount. You don't remove any bolts to do this. If access is an issue, remove the inner plastic panel inside the passenger side wheel well to access the side of the engine.
-1
Monday, April 20th, 2015 AT 8:46 AM
JPARENO
I've changed serpentine belts before on a GM cars and they are a snap, this is a mitsubishi engine, ive looked and I can't see how to get acess to the tentioner from the top or underneath the car. I've watched several videos, one looks like I have to loosen a belt on the pully, then another nut below the pully?
Monday, April 20th, 2015 AT 9:06 AM
I'm not sure which one you have, but some do require that you loosen the alternator and there is an adjustment screw to loosen and tighten the belt. What looks like a tensioner pulley may in fact be an idler pulley. For some reason I can't open my diagrams to see and confirm what you are dealing with.
Monday, April 20th, 2015 AT 11:01 AM
JPARENO
Yes, now that you mention it, the pulley does look like an idler pulley, Do all cars have a tension pully? I'm gonna have to pass this job on to a better mechanic, the other problem is that the tensioner on the alternator, is rusted and I think it's gonna break, I sprayed w d 40 on it to no avail. They may have to heat it up.
Monday, April 20th, 2015 AT 2:38 PM
JPARENO
The other thing is that there are two belts on this car, serpentine and alternator.
Monday, April 20th, 2015 AT 2:49 PM
Correct. The serp belt needs removed to access the MANUALLY adjusted PS belt.
Tuesday, April 21st, 2015 AT 8:49 AM