No spark at four of the six cylinders

NIETZSCHE
  • 2004 DODGE INTREPID

I have found the PCM is not grounding the ignition coils for 4 of the 6 Cylinders. Cylinders #1 and #6 are the only ones being grounded by PCM. I have scoped the cam and crank sensors, swapped coils, checked all related wiring from PCM to coils and sensors and all have checked good. PCM ground and powers supplies checked gOod also. I had concluded it was a faulty PCM and had it sent off for repair. The Chrysle PCM repair shop said they found no internal damage and supposed it must have had a virus from what I told them. They tested it and updated the software. I installed it and found I still have the same problem. I'm at a loss for ideas now. An important note is that the vehicle had a used motor installed prior to the problem. The owner of the car said it ran bad after the motor install but he was able to drive it home and it hasn't ran since. The car will run on 2 cylinders but on if it is started cold. After it is shut off it won't start up and will only crank over. I have let it run on 2 cylinders for over 5 minutes straight and it won't set a CEL and have viewed the misfire monitor via my snap on verus and the monitor doesn't register any misfires thought its blatantly obvious. Please help me!

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 3:45 PM

FIXITMR

Have you tried checking pulse at PCM when installed?

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 4:04 PM
NIETZSCHE

Yes. This is how I know that they are not being grounded by the PCM. All my signal checks have been made at the PCM to eliminate extra diag work.

Sunday, March 18th, 2012 AT 12:41 AM
FIXITMR

You tested with injectors connected? Have you tried with them disconnected?

Sunday, March 18th, 2012 AT 7:31 AM
NIETZSCHE

Yes all checks have been made with injectors connected. I have not tried with the injectors disconnected. The injectors and coils share the same power supply, but outside of that I dont see the difference in having them connected or not as far as the coils being grounded goes.

Sunday, March 18th, 2012 AT 12:11 PM

Hook up a noid lite on the injector harness if its pulsing check injector solenoid if not further chck wiring back to the computer for short/open circuit also go back and retest the cam and crank sensors and its circuits. Let us know

Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 AT 9:05 PM
NIETZSCHE

All 6 injectors are being pulsed by PCM. Cam and crank signals are good. I have checked and recheck these multiple times.

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 8:21 PM

What type of tests did you do on the CMH and CPS sensors?

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 8:45 PM
NIETZSCHE

Used a lab scope and viewed both signals while the engine was running. They are both hall effect sensors. They are both being Pulled down to zero and are also reaching the proper 5volt amplitude.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 12:25 PM
FIXITMR

2.7 or 3.5

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 3:07 PM
DJCL
  • 786 POSTS

Checkcam crank sink on a scaner

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:03 PM
NIETZSCHE

2.7

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 1:16 AM
DJCL
  • 786 POSTS

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE CAM CRANK SINK

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 10:59 PM
NIETZSCHE

Yes both show "sync" on data list

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 1:45 AM
DJCL
  • 786 POSTS

You stated that it starts cold and runs. When its first started are the coils working then. Or do thay never work.

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 6:59 AM
NIETZSCHE

Only 2 cylinders have coils that are grounded by the PCM. This never changes regardless of engine temp.

Sunday, April 15th, 2012 AT 11:20 AM
DJCL
  • 786 POSTS

How is it going?

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Thursday, May 17th, 2012 AT 1:55 PM
NIETZSCHE

I haven't received any kind of answer in all replies thus far. You can see for yourself above. I paid for nothing essentially. Does that answer your question? And this is a website with "experts". I haven't seen any evidence for that claim and I'm not trying to be funny about it.

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 AT 1:19 AM

So what's going on now with the vehicle?

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 AT 3:50 AM