I HAVE A 2.4L ENGINE WITH A SIGNIFICANT ENGINE OIL LEAK.

2004 Dodge Caravan

flipjohnson

January, 8, 2012 AT 4:12 AM

The oil leak (at least a quart a day) appears to be coming from a plug looking thing jutting from the back of the oil pan about a third or a fourth of the way up the engine block from the bottom. It has a thin wire coming from it leading to who knows where. The oil seems to be coming from the plug, running down the wire, and dripping off of it. I think it might be the oil pressure switch or the oil pressure sender. Are the switch and the sender two names for the same device? And am I right about what that thing is? I need to know so I can get the right part from the store and try to replace it; I can't afford to take it into a shop right now. P.S. It only leaks out (significantly) when the engine is running.

Oil Leak From Engine

caradiodoc

January, 8, 2012 AT 4:45 AM

If you give me a few minutes, I'll post a photo so you can verify we're talking about the same thing.

caradiodoc

January, 8, 2012 AT 5:03 AM

See if this is what you're looking at. It's a photo from rockauto. Com. Looks to me like it just runs a warning light, not a gauge. I don't see any listing for a pressure sending unit. If the car also has a gauge on the dash, the sending unit will typically have two wires, one for the light and one for the gauge.

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front