2004 Chrysler Sebring leaking from under the car

PENINK3
  • 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING
Every time after a distance, I notice a leak from under the car more to the side of the front passenger when looking at the top of the motor there is no sign of water on top. Can you please tell me where could this leak be from, is it the water pump. Is there any I can check and find out for sure if the water pump is going up. I'm a widow and have put so much money into this car, can't afford a car payment so trying hard to hold to this car, please help
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 4:33 PM

That is where the water pump is located. Under the pump (behind the pulley) there is a weep hole. It is a small round hole. If the bearing is going bad in the pump, that is where it will leak from. Also, you can get a cooling system tester which is nothing more than a pump. It pressurizes the cooling system so it is easier to find leaks. Most parts stores will lend that to you.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 7:19 PM
PENINK3
Thanks so much, did find out that I had the ac on, on the way home from work. And that's when I seen it leaking. Forgot I had it on. Noticed it this morning when starting the car felt the cool air. But today I drove home with no ac and have checked 4 times in the last hour after parking from the drive home and no leak. Not sure what that means. My husband use to take care of the cars and now with him gone I'm lost. I do want to thank you so much for helping me, maybe you can reply on this comment. Still going to get that tool you talked and try to figure out how to do the testing before running to a mechanic. Had a lot of car problems lately and ran for help from mechanics and put a lot of money in repairs some I'm wondering if I really need it, or was I a victim. So that is why I want to be sure it's the water pump or not, the cheapest price for repair on the water pump is $900.00 can you tell me if that's sound.
Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 3:07 PM
Hi:

If you don't see water now, maybe it was just the AC condensation. Usually, when a pump leaks, it doesn't stop.

As far as the price, that seems really high, but I don't know where you live. I would recommend that you make sure the coolant is actually leaking before spending that much money.

If you see a leak again, rub your finger in it and then rub that into another finger. If it is only water, it will dry quickly. If it is coolant, it will be slippery and not evaporate.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 3:29 PM
PENINK3
Thanks for the great advice, I live in Reisterstown MD not sure if that helps but good to know about the pricing. And I know for sure it is water had the thermostat housing leak and know what coolant leak feels like, this did dry up right away, thanks again will keep in touch
Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 3:39 PM
PENINK3
Also want to say thanks I now know where I can turn to for questions on my car, it's a big help
Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 3:45 PM
We are not too far apart. I am near Pittsburgh. Regardless, I happy to have helped you. Let us know if you have questions in the future.
Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 7:27 PM