NOISE

2004 Chevrolet Silverado

timjesky

April, 5, 2011 AT 5:47 PM

I'm getting a humming noise from underneath my truck. The noise is comming what looks to be some type of pump, module and a block where brake lines terminate.

Docfixit

April, 5, 2011 AT 5:59 PM

Maybe ABS module any warning light on?

timjesky

April, 5, 2011 AT 6:24 PM

Yep, The ABS light is on

Docfixit

April, 5, 2011 AT 6:27 PM

Need to have scanned find fault

timjesky

April, 5, 2011 AT 6:35 PM

Is it the same type of scanner that's used for check engine light?

caradiodoc

April, 5, 2011 AT 7:26 PM

Hi guys. Excuse me for nosing in here. If that pump isn't turning off after pressure builds up, the computer module that runs the pump is shorted and must be replaced. This has been a REAL common problem with GM trucks for many years. This is one of the few instances where buying the extended warranty is worth the cost because you know you'll be needing two or three of these computers if you keep the truck for many years.

I suppose internal leakage in the hydraulic controller could prevent the pressure from building so the pump will continue running, but I haven't really heard of that problem. Your mechanic might have the tools to perform a pressure test to see if pressure is building properly. Dealerships have gauges for that purpose.

The same TYPE of scanner is used that is used for the Engine Computer but it must be able to access the ABS Computer. Not all aftermarket scanners can do that although it's becoming more common on the expensive models.

timjesky

April, 6, 2011 AT 10:53 AM

Thanks Docfixit and Caradiodoc. The research I've done confirms what you are telling me. Ebay has 117 rebuilds listed for the modules.
Thanks again,
Tim Jesky

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet