My gauges are not working is this something I can fix

LA METRO
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 V6 4.3 liter King Cab Pickup. On my instrument gauges I have fuel, tachometer, battery, speedometer, and oil temp, and coolant temp gauges. My speedometer, oil temp and fuel temp gauges won't move or in read different in the I am talking about my instrument cluster. Speedometer, fuel, and oil temp gauges no longer work correctly. I would like to know can I fix this myself or is it better to take this to an auto repair shop?
Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 12:57 AM

The instrument clusters in these trucks had alot of issues, you may need to replace it. You should be able to do it at home if you have a small amount of mechanical ability

See the attachments below for instructions on how to change the gauge cluster.
-1
Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 6:28 PM
FIREFIGHTER0612
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
For some reason the gauges will work when they want. The gauges including battery, gas, mileage and etc will all start going crazy. They will move up & down also other lights will all of sudden come on such as the seat belt, engine light and etc. Usually the seatbelt and other will flicker on & off. The gauges does this on & off while driving down the road. You can be driving down the road and all gauges will all of a sudden move up & down then will reset & work. Then of course repeat the process.

Any info. Would be greatly helpful and thank you for reading my post.
Wednesday, October 24th, 2018 AT 6:01 PM (Merged)
RHALL77
Have it scanned. Most likely its a cluster issue
-1
DHD
Could also be ground behind right engine head
-1
RHALL77
On a older truck it may be a ground but most likely its a cluster
LA METRO
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 4.3 liter V6 and noticed my fuel, oil temp, and speedometer gauges aren't working correctly? The above gagues aren't working. Speedometer, you can't tell how fast you are going because it stays stuck at 0 miles an hour. The fuel gauge is turned halfway down where it no longers lets you know if you are between full and empty on fuel. The oil gauge is also turned downward where you can't tell if you are between 10 and 40 on the oil gauge and I wanted to know what the cause could be for those gauges no longer working the way it use to? Is it possible to do the work myself or get better to take it to a shop?
RIVERMIKERAT
Check the wiring and fuses. Pay special attention to instrument panel grounds. I have attached the schematic for the instrument panel. Each page is in 2 parts for clarity.
-1
SANDYFETZ
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The engine runs fine but all the gauges on the dash stopped working.
DOCFIXIT
Underhood fuse box check fuse IGN E and IPC/DIC
CAPNJACK
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

All of the gauges in the cluster just quit working. They all quit at the same time. What is the problem?
DR LOOT
That is very strange I've been looking at the wiring diagrams on your truck and I can't find the main power wire but it may be in the fuse box at the end of the dash on the driver side, opened up the drivers door and remove the end cap from the dash and check your fuses.