Estimate

SNYRAY
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Replace ignition lock 2004 impala
Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 12:41 PM

WRENCHTECH
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate.

3. Insert the key and turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.
4. Using a small curved tool or an L-shaped hex wrench, depress and hold the detent on the ignition lock cylinder. Access the detent by placing the tool through the I/P opening to the right of the ignition switch. If you cannot locate the detent with the tool, lower the ignition switch away from the I/P. Refer to Ignition Switch Replacement.

5. Using the key as an aid, pull to remove the lock cylinder from the switch.
6. Remove the key from the lock cylinder.
7. If the cylinder does not rotate or is seized, follow the procedure in the ignition switch replacement. Refer to Ignition Switch Replacement.

Installation Procedure

1. Code the ignition lock cylinder, if necessary. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.
2. Insert the key and turn the lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.
3. Position the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. Press the cylinder into place. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
4. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key.
5. Install the I/P cluster trim plate.
6. Connect the negative battery cable.
7. If you installed a new lock cylinder, perform the BCM theft deterrent relearn procedure. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Important
The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password).
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 1:53 PM