2004 CAVALIER TRANNY FLUID- 3 QUARTS

• zwhite93
  • 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
  • automatic

I drive a 2004 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2L, A/T. I recently rear ended someone and as a result replaced my radiator, among other things. In the course of this, I lost a good deal of transmission fluid. I had refilled until it overflowed, then siphoned some out. Today I finally jacked my car up and put it on level jackstands. I removed a 7/16" hex that was supposedly a drain for the tranny fluid. From what I've read online, the only way to get the right level is to remove this bolt, and aim for a slow drip. When I removed this bolt, I lost a whopping 12 quarts, yes 3 gallons, of tranny fluid. The bolt was located near where the right front axle goes into the tranny, and was close to the engine oil plug. The capacity is only 7 quarts. What's going on here? I'm positive it was 12 quarts that drained. Now there is a slow drip coming out, but I can't imagine I'm at the capacity I should be at. Did I pull the wrong bolt maybe? Help please!

Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 8:57 PM

• Wrenchtech

I'm not sure what you got yourself into here because this transmission doesn't even have a drain plug and the capacity is 7 quarts. It has a level control plug used to check the fluid level but this has to be done with the engine running to get the correct reading. Even dropping the pan would not get the whole 7 quarts out because the rest is in the torque converter.

Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 3:10 PM