2004 Chevy Cavalier wont start

ESP02101103
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Just replaced fuel pump in 2004 cavalier and the car still will not start, switched relays with the ac relay and still nothing. I can hear the pump turn on. Also did a fuel pressure check and it reads zero. What else could be wrong?
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 5:29 PM

Is this a new pump? Did you replace the fuel filter? Other than the initial prime, the pump won't run without rpm signal. Are you missing anything else, like spark at the plugs or injector pulse?
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 5:38 PM
ESP02101103
This is a new pump. And it is the AC Delco pump. How do I know if it is getting the signal? How do I check for spark and injector pulse?
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 6:57 PM
To check for spark at the spark plugs, you can use a known good spark plug or spark tester. A spark tester doesn't cost much. Don't pull a plug from engine. You can use a phillips screwdriver, pull spark plug wire loose, use tester or screwdriver in boot, hold close to engine ground/metal part, engine cranking watch for spark to jump. When I hold it in my hand, I usually feel the spark, I don't like secondary ignition voltage, it will bite. Do you have plug wires or is that a housing that sits on top of plugs? I would suggest not holding anything in your hand, that's up to you. Secondary ignition voltage hasn't killed me yet, but, I still don't like it.

As far as injector pulse, use a noid lite. The auto stores sells them.
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 7:22 PM
ESP02101103
Thanks it is a coil pack system on top of the engine. I replaced the plugs about 1 month before the car died. I am just wondering if the fuel pump is bad. The car cranks like it wants to turn over but there the fuel line gage reads zero. I pulled the vaccuum line off the regulator to test it and the car still didn't start. I can hear the pump. Is it possible that the new pump runs that you can hear it but doesn't pump. I also noticed I forgot to connect the one hose in the back. It looks like it goes into a box in the back. I don't know what the box does but it looks like its for emissions or something. Anyway I hooked up the hose and still no pressure and no start. I am hoping not to replace the pump again since it's a PITA to drop the tank but if I have to I have to.
-1
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 7:36 PM
Have a helper crank it, while you check for voltage and ground at the fuel pump connector. Gray wire is voltage, black is ground.

You can take fuel line loose from fuel filter, aim into proper container, cycle the key, any gas. Don't take any lines loose without being sure there is no pressure on the system. There is a safety issue when fooling with gasoline. Safety is your responsibility.
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 9:10 PM