2004 Chevrolet Cavalier car wont start

RMB011288
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Ive owned the car a week and now it doesn't start. I drove it to the store a few days ago maybe 10 miles and it drove fine like it has since I got it but the next day it started up about 5 times but died each time after about 10 seconds and now just turns over but doesn't start. Ive checked fuses replaced spark plugs new ignition module and I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on. Took valve cover off and timing chain is still tight. Confused as to why its not starting now.
Friday, May 2nd, 2014 AT 8:00 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Saturday, May 3rd, 2014 AT 2:45 AM