Car overheating?

DAYTRIPPER101
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My 2004 chevy cavalier has randomly started overheating? It gets worse when I'm idle, it never reaches the red, I often will turn the heater on and it starts to go down some. But my air conditioner goes back and forth from blowing cold air to warm air. I checked the coolant by removing the cap and looking in, it seems to have a good amount. I've never had a problem with it before. What could be happening?
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 6:51 PM

In degrees, how hot is getting? Does the radiator fan run ok? Some electric fans won't even kick on till about 220, may run all the time with ac turned on, haven't looked at your specs.

If the computer thinks the engine is overloaded, it may shut off the compressor for a bit?
-1
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 7:00 PM
DAYTRIPPER101
To be honest, I'm just a college girl and have no idea about the technicalities of things. I can't afford to take it to a shop so I'm desperate for free answers. Um, normally when it gets to mark between half and red I will pull over and shut it off for a while, if I continued driving I'm going to assume it would continue to overheat. Also, a lot of times when I stop at a light and my air conditioner is on it will make this strange noise, and then my air will start blowing warm, and just recently it started to stall just a tiny bit until I turned the air off. How will I know if the radiator fan is running okay?
+1
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 7:07 PM
Raise the hood and look to see if fan is running. I give guys and gals the same answers, I don't know any other way to do it.

You could replace the thermostat, I just don't know if that will help?
+1
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 7:16 PM
DAYTRIPPER101
I might try taking it to autozone and just seeing what information they can tell me, I'm really hoping this will be an easy fix, I don't have a lot of money. Do you think it's okay to be driving it like this?
-1
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 7:25 PM
Check the coolant level, cool engine, is it ok? Maybe one of your friends at school can check under the hood? Friend--brother--dad--boyfriend--somebody? I don't have enough info to know if it is safe to drive anywhere?
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 7:34 PM