Key wont lock car and interior lights such as the door open light won't cut off automatically

GDANIELS2323
  • 2003 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA

2003 jetta - Is this a fuse problem? Everything is working fine it's just the key to unlock the car won't do it anymore and sometimes it will. Also my cabin light that turns on when the door is open stays on so I have to turn it off manually. And horn does not chirp when doors are locked. Is this a fuse or relay problem how to fix it?

Monday, February 6th, 2012 AT 3:26 PM

RIVERMIKERAT

The electronic key/power locks? Battery in the keyfob is dying. Dome light issue is a door pin switch. The horn issue is too, probably. If you set the panic alarm, does the horn sound?

Monday, February 6th, 2012 AT 7:02 PM
GDANIELS2323

I don't think it's dying because I hit the button the little red light blinks but then again If I click it alot it opens the car. And te alarm horn does sound. Just not when it locks which is odd to me. So I will need to buy a new key sometime soon?

Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 AT 7:38 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

No. A new battery.

Thursday, February 9th, 2012 AT 4:27 AM
GDANIELS2323

A new battery for the key?

Thursday, February 9th, 2012 AT 6:51 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

For the keyfob. The part in the picture. I understand they're integrated, but I mean the plastic part that has the buttons you press to lock/unlock.

Thursday, February 9th, 2012 AT 7:29 AM
GDANIELS2323

My car just had an ignition misfire and hmm omens layer check engine light it only comes on when the misfire and says my catalyst is below threshold p0420 and te spark plug but it's because I didn't start the car long enough. Should I just get the light removed and ignore it?

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 6:45 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

The check engine light? No. That's there to alert you of problems that can cause damage to the engine or emissions systems. Hmm omens layer? Is that a shop?

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 8:18 PM
GDANIELS2323

It came on after a misfire is all I got it turned off it has came on before I had then it went off it all happened from a misfire I got it read again today still got P0420 banks 1 below threshold I'm sure it's due to my 02 sensor reading wrong due to the misfire because my car is an 03 no way the catalytic converter should be below threshold yet

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 8:23 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

What engine do you have?

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 8:35 PM
GDANIELS2323

VR6

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 8:41 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

I was going to send you some diagnostics to check the O2 Sensor, but they all require the specialized VW diagnostic scanner. Let me know if you can get your hands on either the VAG 1551 or the VAG 5051.

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 8:47 PM
GDANIELS2323

It is the 02 sensor in sure mine is a 6 speed manual also. I think it's because I didn't ignite the care properly which caused the 02 sensor to misread and tell the catalysts it's below threshold

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 8:52 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Didn't ignite the care properly? It's not a diesel, is it?

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 9:13 PM
GDANIELS2323

No it's gasoline but I didn't start it up tight and it was misfiring I'm sure that's why it happened

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 1:18 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

I don't understand what you mean by not starting it up right. Turn the key, let the idle stabilize, and go.

A misfire can be caused by loose wires, low compression, bad fuel, low fuel pressure, improper injection, and a vacuum leak.

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 1:46 AM
GDANIELS2323

I understand all I know is that I started the car wrong I didn't turn the key and hold it long enough if you know what I meant. Everytime I've done this the light came on its only happened twice

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 3:12 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Not really. In my more than 30 years of working on cars, all that's been required to start the car is to turn the key until it starts. Keeping the key turned to the start position after it's started can cause damage to the engine and the starter.

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 4:38 AM
GDANIELS2323

Ok I'll just get it diagnosed this weekend thanks alot

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 5:08 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Do some checks yourself first. Make sure the cam and crank sensors are firmly seated and not loose. Check the wiring for the coil packs. Good clean connectors. Make sure the plug wires/connectors are properly seated. Use a noid light to check the injectors. If you can, use a scope to view the injector pulse waveforms. Check all grounds having to do with the ignition and fuel injection systems.

THEN take it to a shop that will hook it up to a VAG 1551/5051 tool for free.

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 5:24 AM
GDANIELS2323

Hello again so I got a new battery for my key fob, and it still isn't unlocking my car what else could be the problem?

Friday, February 17th, 2012 AT 6:19 PM