Vehicle Overheating

YANKEE
  • 2003 TOYOTA CAMRY
I changed the water pump on my 2003 toyota camry, I've made sure all the air is out of the engine. When I idle the engine the temperature is fine, it does not overheat, and the heat works well.
But once I start to drive it, it gets hot and throws out the water through the resivoir and the heat does not work, until it cools ad I add coolant. Each time I try driving it heats up and backs the coolant out.
What can be causing this?
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 8:30 PM

KHLOW2008
Either the bleeding of cooling system has not been done correctly resulting in air still trapped or the head gasket is blown.

While bleeding system, turn the heater on to maximum and run engine for 5 minutes with radiator cap off. Top up coolant when it goes down. After 5 minutes, close radiator cap and run for a few minutes till operating temperature and cooling fan comes on.

Turn engine off and wait for it to cool before rechecking the coolant level in radiator and top up if necessary.

Are the cooling fans working correctly?
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 8:55 PM
YANKEE
Cooling fans come on when it runs hot.
I see no coolant leaks anywhere.
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 9:31 PM
KHLOW2008
Try the bleeding procedures again and see if it helps.

Prior to replacement of the thermostat, was the engine overheating?
Is the new thermostat of the correct rating?
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 1:54 PM
YANKEE
Yes it was overheating.
I am going to get a thermastat from the dealers parts department.
The one that I brought was from Advance Auto, which even looks different (180).
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 2:14 PM
KHLOW2008
Try running the engine with thermostat removed and see if problem goes away.
Get a test kit for checking presence of carbon in coolant to verify if the head gasket has a problem.
Do you have coolant losses issues before rreplacement of the thermostat?
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 2:44 PM
YANKEE
Yes, there was loss of coolant at times, I thought it was due to a faulty water pump.
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 9:46 PM
KHLOW2008
After he work done, when engine is cold, was the radiator coolant level checked and was it ok?
Do you still have coolant losses issues?
Have you performed the bleeding as I suggested?
Is there any difference in the situation?
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 6:45 PM
YANKEE
There is no loss of coolant, after running it with the engine with the radiator cap off for ten minutes at idle, there is no coolant loss. It only happens when I start to drive it. Then it backs up into the resivoir.
After trying everything, I'm inclined to believe that it is the head gasket, although I don't see any leaks.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 10:02 PM
KHLOW2008
Head gasket leaks would not be visible, if it is, the engine would not be able to run as the damage is very bad and would result in loss of compression. Check if the engine oil has traces of coolant. A test kit would confirm the presence of carbon in the cooling system indicating a bad head.

With coolant filled correctly and radiator cap closed, try revving the engine and checking if coolant is bubbling up at the reservoir.
+1
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 10:17 PM
JJ58551
It is mostly head gasket. It is causing pressure in your cooling system, which is causing the push out of antifreeze. My bronco is in the shop getting a new engine, it had the same problem. It was easier to put in a engine.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 10:26 PM