2003 Saturn ECU

AMANDAGREENE
  • 2003 SATURN VUE
I took my 2003 saturn vue v6 3.0L to the shop and had the o2 sensor and all the sparkplugs replaced bc the technician said those were the codes that were coming up. Worked fine for a few days then the service engine light came on so I took it back and the same exact codes came up for the cylinder misfire and 02 sensor so the tech said it most likely a bad ecu. Is that what it is the ecu? If I buy a used ECU and have it put in my car I dont have to get it reprogrammed if it is off the same year make and model right? If I replace the ecu are there any other mandatory parts that need to be replaced with it? Please help I spent all the money I had at the first shop and cant afford another
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 3:17 AM

SATURNTECH9
Before you go changing the ecm did the guy even test the o2 circuit to find out it was a bad ecm?Or did he just say it needed one since you brought it back for the same code?
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 5:47 PM
AMANDAGREENE
Im not positive if he tested it bc I left the car there he took it in the shop before I left. Is there a certain test that can be done just to test the ECU? By the way is the ECU the same as an ECM?
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 5:59 PM
AMANDAGREENE
My car runs bad and the service engine light is on as well as the brake light the light that comes on when the emergency brake is on. I have it siting in my drive way and just the other day it wouldnt start so I got a new battery and took it directly to advanced to get it checked for a bad alternator and again the only codes that came up were undetected misfire, misfire in cylinder 4 and 6 and the 02 sensor. The alternator and starter where fine but before I bought the battery I got my battery tested and it was shot
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 6:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
A ecu is short for engine control unit a ecm is short for engine control module they both are the same just different name's for them.I need the exact code number's you have then I can tell you more about what's going on.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 5:25 AM
AMANDAGREENE
Error codes that the car has are P0300, P0304, P0306, P0152.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 6:21 PM
SATURNTECH9
As far as the po300 p0304 and the p0306 I would say that would be more likely some bad spark plug's or a coil. The P0152 could be a bad ecm but you have to make sure the trouble tree was followed to make sure that he didn't just throw in a o2 sensor and since that didn't fix it then he just say's you need a new ecm. Ask him to tell you step by step how he figured out it need a ecm. Then let me know what he said and we will go from there.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 8:35 PM
AMANDAGREENE
When I had the o2 sensor replaced I also had all of my spark plugs replaced. I had a warranty on my car but it is no longer valid. When the 02 sensor and spark plugs were replaced as well as the water pump they sent someone from my warranty place to look over the car when the car was released to me
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 8:43 PM
AMANDAGREENE
So since those codes are still the ones that are coming up after having the 02 sensor and spark plugs changed, are they read by the ECU? And if the ECU is bad then it is giving false codes bc the ECU isnt working?
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 8:47 PM
AMANDAGREENE
I tried speaking with the service advisor as well as the technician at the Chevrolet dealer (which is were saturn has moved to since saturn was shut down) they are rude and unhelpful since I did not allow them to replace my ECU due to money retrictions. When I call or go there to find out any information they blow me off and say that they told me what is wrong with the car and that my car troubles will be gone once the ECM is replaced. No other information will be given to me. The customer service is horrible. I am getting more help from you than they have given me.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 8:53 PM
SATURNTECH9
I hate to say it but it really sound's like there just throwing part's at the car. They replace o2 sensor's and spark plug's to fix the problem and two day's later the same code's some up and now they want to guess a ecm or the ecm was the problem all along?They need to fix the problem for free at this point after charging you to fix the problem they never fixed to begin with. Let me ask you a question what state do you live in?
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 9:36 PM
AMANDAGREENE
I live in va. To add to the problem. My brake light is on like my emergency brake is on but it's not. The car drives like the brake is on grinding noises and it drives rough
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 10:08 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your brake issue would have to be inspected and checked out. Here in california we have something called bar Bureau of Automotive Repair we can contact them to help us with cases like you have where you pay for a repair and they charge you to fix it and don't. Do you have anything like that in the state you live in?
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 11:40 PM