2003 Saturn Ion Heater Fan

DAVENJESS
  • 2003 SATURN ION
Hi - my Saturn heater/fan system stopped working yesterday. It had originally made a 'tweeting' noise when on any setting other than the highest, but now it simply doesn't blow air on any setting other than the highest and the tweeting noise is there and the highest setting is NOT even close (it responds as if it's on the lowest).

I don't think it's related, but we just had the gas line fixed, as we had a leak - but this happened within 3 days of that repair.

Could it be something fuse related that we could fix on our own? (Please say yes) We have spent more than 1k on repairs lately and this is just too much!
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 7:46 AM

Based on what you have described, it sounds like the following has happened. The noise made by the blower motor leads me to believe the motor itself was going bad. As a result, it was most likely drawing more amps than it should have. This type of an issue usually will cause the blower motor resister to burn up and ONLY allow power to the motor on the high setting.

If I am correct, the blower motor and blower motor resister will need replaced.
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 8:47 AM
DAVENJESS
Is this a typically expensive process?
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 9:33 AM
The parts are not that expensive. I'm not sure where you are located, so any price I give may be off. However, here, in PA, the blower motor would cost in the area if 75.00 and the resister would be around 25.00. The problem with this type of repair isn't the parts, but rather the cost of labor can be high. The blower motor requires part of the dash to be taken apart and it can take a couple hours for the repair. With labor costs being so high, it can add up.

Let me know if you have other questions. Also, please keep in mind that I am not there to physically check the components for you, so I could be wrong. However, based on your original description, I feel somewhat confident that I am correct.
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 9:45 AM
DAVENJESS
Oh, of course - that goes without saying! I appreciate the feedback. We're in NJ - so cost would likely be close to the same.

We also did just have to replace the battery within the past 3 months - so battery, all new tires, the gas leak and now this is just a lot!

I truly appreciate you taking the time! Thank you!
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 9:56 AM
I'm happy to help. And yes, the prices should be close, but a shop may mark them up to make more. If you have a mechanic that you trust, maybe he will let you go to a place like auto zone or other parts store and get the parts yourself. It would help save a few dollars. Based on everything you have done to the car, I'm sure you would be happy to save a little. Lol

Take care and let me know if you have other questions.

Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 10:34 AM