I HAVE A 2003 PONTIAC GRAND AM

2003 Pontiac Grand Am

Tish32

February, 26, 2014 AT 2:59 PM

I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. I been having it for 3 years. It has 209000 miles on it give or take a few. Recently it has been making some awful putting noises coming out of the exhaust pipe, also I have noticed fluid coming out of the pipe as well. It hasn't cut off on me, when I drove it to work every time I stopped it sounds like it is going to cut off. Also the check engine light flashes when I'm driving it, and stops once I stop at a stop sign or a street light. Would like to know what could be causing the trouble and is it expensive to fix? Also I sometimes feel like it is shaking, if that makes any since. Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.

caradiodoc

February, 26, 2014 AT 3:20 PM

The flashing Check Engine light indicates the most serious conditions and you're supposed to stop the engine as quickly as possible. Too much raw fuel is going into the exhaust system and is going to overheat and damage the catalytic converter. That would agree with the shaking. That's due to a misfire.