Car won't start

MARTIN0514
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

Hello I got a problem with my Nissan altima it's got a 3.5 engine in it.
The problem that I got is that the car will turn over but it won't start, one day I was driving and just die on my so a had a shop look at it and they found that the chain jump time,
So they replace the timing chain, they couldn't get it to start so they replace the fuse box and the cam sensor and still can't get the car to start, I know some about mechanic, there's is no spark out of the spark plug on any cylinder and there's no fuel coming out of the fuel tank I jump the fuel pump by puting voltage directly to the fuel pump and it does work but when I open the key it won't work it all, so I don't know where to look at, I need so help here. Thanks Martin. OKC, ok

Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 1:39 AM

RIVERMIKERAT

Check the fuel pump relay and fuse. Make sure the pump is receiving power with the engine ON. Check the camshaft position sensors (on the back of the engine on both sides.) And crankshaft position sensor (lower left rear of the engine). Check the ignition coil with a voltohm meter set to resistance. The resistance should be anything but zero when measured between Pins 2&3 and 1&3, and anything but zero or infinity between Pins 1&2.

Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 2:41 AM
MARTIN0514

How do I check both sensors ( camshaft & crankshaft) And the harness of the sensors,
Also how do I check if I'm getting power to the fuel pump,
Thanks.
Martin0514

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 1:57 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

If you have a test light, ground one end to the frame and the other to power lead on the top of the fuel pump. All of the testing procedures I can find for the 2 sensors require special equipment. The sensor is a hall effect transistor and a magnet on the crankshaft/camshaft. Attach a multimeter set to read resistance across the sensor(s) and watch the readings as the engine is cranked over. You should see major fluctuations in resistance, with the lows near zero. Disconnect the sensor from the harness prior to testing to mitigate chances of causing damage to the meter.

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 3:38 AM
MIKEGO87
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

2003 Nissan Altima 4 cyl

Hi, recently the car has been starting only when it cools down (i.E: it starts fine in the morning). After driving for a while, then trying to start it a few minutes later, the starter cranks up but doesnt fire up! It starts again after leaving the car idle for an hour or so when it cools down. Could that be a bad starter solenoid? Or is it something else. The battery is fine

Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:32 PM (Merged)

Hi, recently the car has been starting only when it cools down (i.E: it starts fine in the morning). Hot or Cold condition do below when it refuses to start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil.

SHEVANS
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

Car overheated & shut down fixed overheating problem, but car turns over & no start

Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:33 PM (Merged)

Check for fuel and spark-start here

PIERRE9999
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

Altima 2003 wont start when hot

WRENCHTECH

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

TANKER2012
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

One of my soldiers has a nissan altima with the 2.5l and he says that about a month ago it would not start till the engine cooled off yesterday I finally found out about it and now it wont start at all. I went and looked at it and took the gas cap off cause it sounded like a fuel issue when I did that the tank sucked in air and you could hear an audible girgle from the tank it actually sounds like vapor lock to me or maybe a fuel pressure problem. Any help would be great

+1

Even though you can hear something in the fuel tank, you need to check to make sure it is producing the proper fuel pump pressure to the engine. Also, you need to check to make sure you are getting spark to the plugs (Both procedures are on our homepage under the DIY section). Check that. If both are good, check to make sure the injectors are getting power and working.

CARLY22
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

My car won't start. It turns over and sounds like it will start any second, but doesn't. I tried pushing gas to floor, taking of gas cap in case vapor lock. This happened to me once before. What is weird is that the previous time and this time the same thing occured right before my no start problem. The day prior to the problem, my car was turned on and moved a few feet, then shut off. I do think that this has something to do with it.

Try resetting your security system if no manual look on line. If still not starting have it scanned for codes and fuel pressure checked with a gauge.

FUTBOL056
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
  • 160 MILES

Car don't start. No current through spar plug.
We did timing chain change. Piston ring replace. Valve service place. And now car doesn't start

DRCRANKNWRENCH

The plug wires could be damaged and they are integrated into a coil on each plug wire. They might be installed incorrectly. Make sure they are grounded properly and check for power to the coil.

ANTONNYO
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

03 nissan altima no spark

No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

ANTONNYO

I have power to the engition coils still no spark

+1
ANTONNYO

Where is crank sinsore, an ignition control module

The ECM is behind the glove box it fires the coil when it gets the ignition reference signal from the CPS. Crankshaft Position Sensor (POS) (2.5L VIN A)On right rear of cylinder block, below starter motor.

Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:34 PM (Merged)