Car will not start

MARTIN0514
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
Hello, I have a problem with my car. Zit has a 3.5 engine in it.
The problem that I have is that the car will turn over but it will not start. One day I was driving and it just shut off on me. So a had a shop look at it and they found that the chain jump time.
So they replace the timing chain, they could not get it to start so they replace the fuse box and the cam sensor and still could not get the car to start. I know some about mechanic, there is is no spark out of the spark plug on any cylinder and there is no fuel coming out of the fuel tank. I jump the fuel pump by putting voltage directly to the fuel pump and it does work, but when I open the key it will not work it all. So I do not know where to look. I need so help here. Thanks Martin. OKC, okay.
Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 1:39 AM

RIVERMIKERAT
Check the fuel pump relay and fuse. Make sure the pump is receiving power with the engine on. Check the camshaft position sensors (on the back of the engine on both sides.) And crankshaft position sensor (lower left rear of the engine). Check the ignition coil with a volt-ohm meter set to resistance. The resistance should be anything but zero when measured between Pins 2 and 3 and 1 and 3, and anything but zero or infinity between Pins 1 and 2.
Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 2:41 AM
MARTIN0514
How do I check both sensors (camshaft and crankshaft) and the harness of the sensors?
Also, how do I check if I am getting power to the fuel pump?
Thanks.
Martin0514
+1
Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 1:57 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
If you have a test light, ground one end to the frame and the other to power lead on the top of the fuel pump. All of the testing procedures I can find for the two sensors require special equipment. The sensor is a hall effect transistor and a magnet on the crankshaft/camshaft. Attach a multi-meter set to read resistance across the sensor(s) and watch the readings as the engine is cranked over. You should see major fluctuations in resistance, with the lows near zero. Disconnect the sensor from the harness prior to testing to mitigate chances of causing damage to the meter.
Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 3:38 AM
MIKEGO87
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
Four cylinder.

Hi, recently the car has been starting only when it cools down (i.E: it starts fine in the morning). After driving for a while, then trying to start it a few minutes later, the starter cranks up but does not fire up! It starts again after leaving the car idle for an hour or so when it cools down. Could that be a bad starter solenoid? Or is it something else? The battery is fine.
Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:32 PM (Merged)
Disconnect a spark plug wire or two and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground have some one crank engine over. Do you have a snapping blue spark? If so you have a fuel related problem. Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light? No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil.
SHEVANS
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
Car overheated and shut down. Fixed overheating problem, but car turns over and no start.
Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:33 PM (Merged)
Check for fuel and spark. Start here.
PIERRE9999
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
Will not start when hot.
WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can only be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That is what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the information required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the possitive terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
TANKER2012
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
About a month ago it would not start until the engine cooled off. Yesterday I finally found out about it and now it will not start at all. I went and looked at it and took the gas cap off because it sounded like a fuel issue. When I did that the tank sucked in air and you could hear an audible gurgle from the tank it actually sounds like vapor lock to me or maybe a fuel pressure problem. Any help would be great.
+1
Even though you can hear something in the fuel tank, you need to check to make sure it is producing the proper fuel pump pressure to the engine. Also, you need to check to make sure you are getting spark to the plugs (both procedures are on our homepage under the DIY section). Check that. If both are good, check to make sure the injectors are getting power and working.
CARLY22
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
My car will not start. It turns over and sounds like it will start any second, but does not. I tried pushing gas to floor, taking of gas cap in case vapor lock. This happened to me once before. What is weird is that the previous time and this time the same thing occurred right before my no start problem. The day prior to the problem, my car was turned on and moved a few feet, then shut off. I do think that this has something to do with it.
Try resetting your security system if no manual look on line. If still not starting have it scanned for codes and fuel pressure checked with a gauge.
FUTBOL056
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
  • 160 MILES
Car does not start. No current through spark plug.
We did timing chain change. Piston ring replace. Valve service place. And now car does not start.
DRCRANKNWRENCH
The plug wires could be damaged and they are integrated into a coil on each plug wire. They might be installed incorrectly. Make sure they are grounded properly and check for power to the coil.
ANTONNYO
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA
No spark.
No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer.
ANTONNYO
I have power to the ignition coils. Still no spark.
+1
ANTONNYO
Where is crank sensor and ignition control module located?
The ECM is behind the glove box it fires the coil when it gets the ignition reference signal from the CPS. Crankshaft Position Sensor (POS) (2.5L VIN A). On right rear of cylinder block, below starter motor.
Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:34 PM (Merged)