ON BRAKING, GET A SQUEEKING TICKING NOISE FOLLOWED BY A METAL ON METAL SOUND

2003 Hyundai Accent

windyridge

October, 10, 2011 AT 6:44 PM

On braking, get a squeeking ticking noise when I first hit the brakes, followed by a metal on metal sound as I come to a stop. This is on the driver side, front. Rotors and brake pads are pretty new, calipers are brand new. We thought it might be the calipers hanging up which is why we replaced it. What cold it possibly be? Looking at the brake area and under the car shows nothing interfering. I have a video of the noise if there is any way to send it or I can post somewhere.

rivermikerat

October, 10, 2011 AT 6:55 PM

You can post it to YouTube and post the link here.

Lift the front end. Pull the wheels and see if the wear indicator is contacting the rotor. Otherwise, it could be a piece of dust or dirt between the pad(s) and rotor.

rivermikerat

October, 10, 2011 AT 6:58 PM

Another idea is to chamfer the edges of the pads so that they are rounded instead of a hard square.

windyridge

October, 10, 2011 AT 7:23 PM

rivermikerat

October, 10, 2011 AT 10:10 PM

That sounds like a wear indicator or a piece of dust or dirt.

windyridge

October, 10, 2011 AT 10:42 PM

Also we noticed that the inner bolt that attaches the caliper to the car is missing, however that bolt was missing when we bought the car and it took a week for the noise to start. Maybe this is it. We can't find any wear indicator.

rivermikerat

October, 10, 2011 AT 11:10 PM

There should be a tab riveted to one of the brake pads on each side.

You need to get that second bolt replaced and properly torqued before the stress becomes too great for the one there and it sheers off.

windyridge

October, 11, 2011 AT 1:59 AM

Ok thanks, car is being inspected tomorrow. Hopefully the mechanic will have that bolt. Maybe that's why the indicator is rubbing on the rotor. We didn't see any dirt between the pads and the rotor.

rivermikerat

October, 11, 2011 AT 4:40 AM

Spray them down with a brake cleaning product just to be sure. If you have another vehicle, you can probably get a bolt that will more than suffice at a Lowe's or Home Depot. Minimum Grade 5, preferably Grade 8.

windyridge

October, 11, 2011 AT 2:51 PM

The bolt was the problem. The noise is gone. It was that easy. Car passed inspection but the mechanic said the back break was hanging up a little and was probably a cable. I didn't feel anything while driving but I am not a mechanic. So that's the next project along with replacing the thermostat as the heat doesn't work. My 17 year old will learn a lot about cars with this first car of his. Thanks for the help. It was every bit worth the $2 and I am sure I will be in touch again.

rivermikerat

October, 11, 2011 AT 10:18 PM

My pleasure. That's what we're here for.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3