Hyundai Accent 03

STADT090
  • 2003 HYUNDAI ACCENT
A couple weeks ago, my check engine light came on. It seemed to be riding fine, and didn't blink, just stays on steadily. Then last week, my low oil light started flashing (I'm past due on an oil change, but haven't been able to afford one yet), so I added oil to it. Today, I noticed that as I accelerated, my car was making a loud noise, and this noise would go away for the most part as I got going faster. The noise would then come back as I decelerated, and would stop again when I basically came to a stop. The noise I would equate it to is a ticking/catching noise, sort of like the wheels on a bicycle make, except much louder. What could be wrong? Thanks!
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 7:31 PM

Could be a valvetrain problem-lifters/valve lash-check the oil pressure to rule out the oil pump-start here
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 7:50 PM
WRENCHTECH
The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 7:51 PM
STADT090
Thanks, will do. Is this something that would require immediate attention? I'm about to make a 4 hour trip.
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 7:54 PM
WRENCHTECH
The car should not be driven AT ALL with the oil light coming on until it has been verified that there is no problem with the oil pressure. As far as the check engine light, you won't know until the code is checked out.
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 7:57 PM