2003 Honda Civic Car starting problem

JUNIOR559
  • 2003 HONDA CIVIC

I have been having this problem since last year( maybe since November).

If I drive the vehicle for about 15-20 mins, and turn the engine off, and try to restart the car again(after a 3-5 min wait), it won't start. I have to turn the key for about 3-5 mins( it cranks) then the car will start. When the vehicle finally starts, the engine has a poor idle, but quickly re cooperates. Another option I have is to wait approximately one hour and the car will start( no excessive crank).

I never have problems starting the vehicle in the morning. The vehicle has never died on me while driving either.

As I stated, the vehicle will not start after a 3-5 min wait from a 15-20 min drive. But if I immediately restart the car(no waiting 3-5 mins) the car will start like normal. Strange problem that I have.

Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 AT 12:00 PM

Check fuel pressure with a gauge autoparts rent them if ok then have crank sensor checked for resistance.

Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 AT 12:17 PM
WRENCHTECH

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 AT 1:20 PM