2003 Civic

FRUSTRATED BY IDIOTS
  • 2003 HONDA CIVIC
The drl light on my dash syays on.I tried replacing the control module and the relay but the #3 10amp fuse blows as soon as I turn on the key. Both the high and low beams seem to work fine.
Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 3:25 AM

KHLOW2008
Here are the description and diagnostic procedures.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS CONTROL UNIT INPUT TEST

The DRL indicator light in the gauge assembly will come on when you turn the ignition switch to ON (II) with the headlight switch off and the parking brake set. It should go off when you turn on the headlight switch, and release the parking brake. If it comes on at any other time, do the control unit input test.

NOTE: When the daytime running lights are on, the high beam indicator will glow at half its normal intensity.

1. Remove the driver's dashboard lower cover

2. Disconnect the 14P connector (A) from the daytime running lights control unit (B).

Fig. 13: Disconnecting 14P Connector From Daytime Running Lights Control Unit

3. Inspect the connector and socket terminals to be sure they are all making good contact.

If the terminals are bent, loose or corroded, repair them as necessary, and recheck the system.

If the terminals look OK, go to next step.

4. Make these input tests at the connector.

If any test indicates a problem, find and correct the cause, then recheck the system.

If all the input tests prove OK, the control unit must be faulty; replace it.

Fig. 14: Daytime Running Lights Control Unit Input Test Chart

The # 3 fuse is for the DRL control module. Ensure the connector is secure and pins are not bent or shorting. Does the fues blow when the original unit is used? Hope you have not gotten a faulty unit.
-1
Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 2:00 PM