Vehicle will do nothing.

MIKEH
  • 2003 GMC SONOMA
2003 GMC Sonoma: Has been running great. Jumped in this morning, turned over the key, and everything went dead. Dome light, headlights, brake lights, everything electrical. Battery checks OK. Suggestions?
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

Could be a security issue or a blown fusible link and defective ignition switch-asssuming the battery condition and connections are good-
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 4:30 PM
MIKEH
I'm sorry, but your answers were not really that helpful. A security issue? What does that mean? How would I know? Where would I look? What would I look for? What do I test?

Blown fusible link? Are you refering to the fuses under the dash. Or somewhere else? Where do I find these?

I don't expect you to fix the problem. I can usually do that, but without a little more detail. I'm just as lost as I was before I paid the $5.00.

Could you provide a little better detail/explanation?

Thank you,

MikeH
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 5:17 PM
Okay-start here find the fusible link between the alternator which has the red wire behind the alternator battery terminal going into the fuse holder ( on lower right side of radiator below battery) sort of has a lump on it -this is the link-test it with a test lite before the link and after the link -power before and no power after its blown. Be advised this problem can drag on, also I recommend you get a repair manual for references-
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 5:33 PM
MIKEH
Now, that's the kind of help I'm looking for. I'll start with this fusible link, and let you know tomorrow if that was or was not the problem.

Thank you,

MikeH
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 5:43 PM
You're welcome and let me know if you need more help on it-
Saturday, February 12th, 2011 AT 1:09 AM
MIKEH
That took care of the problem. Thank you.
Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 1:52 PM
You're welcome again and thanks for using 2carpros
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 10:51 PM