03 Sonoma

KBGRUMPY
  • 2003 GMC SONOMA
Can't get gas in tank where do I find the vent
Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 5:48 AM

MHPAUTOS
The venting system is a fairly cumbersome affair, basically you will have to access the top of the tank to get to the pipe work, see pic for general lay out.
-1
Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 7:21 AM
I'VE SEEN A "CHECK VALVE" MALFUNCTION IN A VEHICLE. THE ONE I SAW WAS AS THE FILL HOSE ENTERED THE TANK

ON MY '77 CJ 5. IT HAS A ROLL-OVER CHECK, A LOT DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE SEEN IN mhpauto'S DIAGRAM

TO INSURE MY "ROLL OVER CHECK" AND "LIQUID CHECK" WAS OPERABLE ON MR. JEEP I PERFORMED ONE OF THOSE "MacGYVER TYPE" TESTS

TO SAVE TIME, I WILL NOT GO INTO MY JEEP'S PROCEDURE. BUT I WILL EXPLAIN HOW I WOULD APPROACH YOURS. ONLY GOING BY THE DIAGRAM. SINCE I DO NOT KNOW YOUR VEHICLE.

1ST AND REALLY IMPORTANT! THIS IS GASOLINE FUMES, ELECTRICAL ITEMS SUCH AS A "SHOP VAC" SHOULD NOT BE USED!

THIS MAY "OPEN" A "STUCK CHECK VALVE" (4), ON THE VENT FROM THE TANK (8). WHICH WOULD BE GOOD. OR IT MIGHT PROVE, THE TANK MUST BE DROPPED TO REPAIR/ REPLACE THE ROLLOVER CHECK VALVE.

REALLY, ALL WE WANT TO SEE IF THE VENT LINE IS OPEN, WITHOUT DROPPING THE TANK!

IF YOU DISCONNECT "8" AT THE CANISTER.S. UCKING THE LINE, IT SHOULD BE FREE AND CLEAR. BLOWING IT, IT SHOULD CHECK (CLOSE)

NOW DON'T DO THIS WITH YOUR MOUTH! 2 REASONS. MESS THOSE LUNGS UP. YOU JUST CANNOT GET THE VOLUME NEEDED TO TEST!

SO HERE'S WHERE THE "MacGYVERING" COMES IN!

COLEMAN CAMPING PRODUCTS MAKES A BIG HAND PUMP, LOOKS LIKE AN OLD TIME BICYCLE PUMP. SWITCHING THE HOSE ON IT, WILL INFLATE OR DEFLATE AN AIR-MATTRESS VERY QUICKLY!

ADAPT THE HOSE TO THE END OF "8", AT THE CANISTER END. YES. DUCT TAPE SEALED OFF TIGHT, MIGHT DO THE TRICK

SWAPPING THE HOSE ON THE PUMP, MAY OFFER TESTING BOTH WAYS. MIGHT EVEN "UN-STICK" THE VALVE. OR LET YOU KNOW. THE TANK END, MAY NOT BE THE PROBLEM!

JUST A THOUGHT. MY MIND "IDLES" CONSTANTLY. SOME THINGS REALLY "REV" IT UP!

WHATCHU THINK. ANYBODY?

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 2:24 PM