Good day experts

STULIEV
  • 2003 FORD WINDSTAR
Good day experts. I own a Ford Windstar. There has been a gradual problem where initially it seemed to run fine, but if I turned it off it would not start again for 20 minutes or so. Seemed to be once it cooled down. Once in a while it would stall.
Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 AT 5:22 PM

Do you have anything to add or should we guess?
Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 AT 6:26 PM
STULIEV
Let me try this again. Think I screwed up. Here is what I wrote.

G'day Ford experts. I own a 2003 Windstar. There has been a gradual problem where initially it seemed to run fine, but if I turned it off it would not start again for 20 minutes or so. Seemed to be once it cooled down. Once in a while it would stall when idling in gear. Fluid levels are fine. Temperature fine. CEL would be on but in honesty it's been on forever and the codes that were spit out seemed ridiculous when it was running perfectly. More recently the situation has gotten much worse. Doesn't run right at anytime. Sounds like it's running on 4 cylinders. Sometimes won't change gears. Can't ever really get it over 80 kph. Sometimes the CEL is solid. Sometimes it flashes and when it flashes, it runs worse. And now backfires too. Replaced the fuel pump months ago when it failed but still had issues starting it even though there was pressure at the fuel rail. Looked towards the electrical system, replacing the plugs and wires. Ran a bit better but it should have since the old plugs had too big a gap and 2 of them had fairly heavy carbon. I was going to replace the coil and possibly the computer but then I thought it may be the catylatics, which I see there are 2, as I thought if they are plugged this may cause the issue. So.

Long story short. Is there something I may be overlooking and if it sounds like the converters, would eliminating them temporarily work. Or unplugging the O2 sensors? Would it even run properly without them?

Tnx in advance.
Steve
Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 AT 6:45 PM
What country are you in? Here in the U.S, anything '96 and newer has "on-board diagnostics, version 2" which sounds like what you have too. That means there will be oxygen sensors after each catalytic converter to monitor their efficiency. The stored diagnostic fault codes will be a lot more descriptive too. When the Check Engine light is flashing, that means shut the engine down right away to prevent overheating the catalytic converters from too much raw unburned fuel entering them.

The place to start is having all of the diagnostic codes read, record them, erase them, then see which ones come back as current codes. They will lead you to the circuit or system that needs to be diagnosed.

Unplugging sensors won't make the engine run better. They're simply reporting on what's happening.
Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 AT 9:38 PM