2003 Ford Taurus won't keep running

FAB411
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
2003 ford Taurus bought car with running problem drove half way around block stopped running. When I tried to start wanted to run but only for a second so I changed all filters no help check plugs.80 gap put new plugs no help. OBD2 showed fuel pump relay module, replaced unit behind rear seat still won’t run. Then OBO2 showed fuel rail pressure sensor still won’t run. Then I left new sensor in rail unplugged and plugged wires into old sensor that was not attached to fuel rail and car ran. Plugged it back into fuel rail sensor that was on fuel rail won’t run. Plugged it back into sensor that was just laying on engine car RAN? Checked OBO2 said what I thought fuel rail sensor failure. Then I replaced fuel pump thinking low or high pressure was problem and all filters still won’t run with fuel sensor plugged in? I’ve always liked older fords but these new ones with all the computer BS is what It is BS. Anyone help Please already spent $600 on parts and car still won’t run. Oh ya I did take it to mech when it ran with fuel sensor plugged in and off rail and he said fuel pump was putting out to much fuel pressure and wanted to charge me $600 just to change pump glad I didn’t do that! Even though I did change fuel pump! Will donate if they fix car!
Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 AT 12:06 PM

WRENCHTECH
Don't fault technology just because you don't understand how it works. Having a code stored for any specific component does not mean that component is bad. It simply means the computer saw something out of place in that circuit and it's up to the technician to find out what it is. It requires a professional level, bidirectional scan tool to be able to diagnose these systems so unless you have access to one, you shouldn't be simply throwing parts at it.
-1
Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 AT 1:17 PM
FAB411
Ok Hi I have a 2003 ford Taurus 89,000 mi 3.0 v6 bought car from county auction they stated car was not drivable because of bad brakes, car ran at auction smooth just wouldn t let it move. It Showed up at my house on the hook after tow truck dropped it off I started it brakes seem fine no lights for abs on. I went real slow around the block with just high idle went to push on accelerator car died and wouldn t start being stuck in street my son and I used starting fluid to get it up drive way. When I tried to start it wanted to run but only for a second so I changed all the filters thinking it was a clogged fuel or air filter, Still wouldn t run air was kind of dirty and I always start out changing everything anyway fuel, oil, air, trans filter& oil radiator fluid when I purchase any used car so I know where I stand. In any case still won t run? I know it had spark otherwise starting fluid won t have made it run. Next I check plugs to see how they looked alright except they were worn to a gap.68 to.86 gap put new plugs in gap.42 no help still won t run. OBD2 code show P1233 defined as Fuel Pump Driver Module Circuit sounded fair I needed to replace that part? But not before I checked inertia switch and there was power in and out and when you turn on key switch fuel pump ran for about 2-3 seconds so pump worked. Since fuel was lacking and I was guessing that FPDM runs the pump and it was not telling the pump for some reason not to send fuel after car started I replaced FPDM the unit behind right rear back seat and car still won t run. Then I got OBD2 showed PO191 failure fuel rail pressure sensor failure I changed that car still won t run. Then I left new sensor in rail but unplugged it and plugged wires into old sensor that was not attached to fuel rail and car ran. Plugged it back into the new fuel rail sensor that was installed car won t run. Plugged it back into FRP sensor that was just laying on engine and car RAN? Of course the OBO2 said what I thought it would show P0191 fuel rail sensor failure. Then I took it to a local repair shop and the mechanic ran test and said it was the fuel pump putting out to much fuel pressure? I tested it and it was 35lb but that was for a second at fuel filter so on his recommendation I replaced fuel pump thinking low or high pressure was problem I replaced fuel pump and the two filters still won t run with FPR sensor plugged in? I m 62 automotive machinist by trade have been and repairing around just about every kind of motor there was till the mid 90 s worked on all my cars all my life use drag race pro stock ran m.I I ve always liked older fords but these new ones with all the computer BS is what It is BS. I still think KISS is the best way. Anyone help Please already spent $600 on parts and car still won t run. I did take it to shop when I got to it ran with fuel sensor plugged in and off rail and he said fuel pump was putting out to much fuel pressure and wanted to charge me $600 just to change pump glad I didn t do that! Even though I did change fuel pump!Have anything use full?
+1
Thursday, October 9th, 2014 AT 4:45 AM
FAB411
I have OBD2 scanner what should I be looking for with scanner and when I took it to ASE Mech he told me it was fuel pump that is way I changed that part all scanner shows now is P0191 fuel rail sensor failure since I have it plugged into fuel rail sensor that's not attached to fuel rail it will show that in code but that is the only way I can get car to run. I'm 62 been doing my own since I way 19 was auto machinist cam and crank grinder kind of know my way around engines but all the computer stuff is over whelming. I do need some help Please
Thursday, October 9th, 2014 AT 12:34 PM
WRENCHTECH
That is the most ridiculous statement I ever heard.

I don't know if you were referring to the light or the sensor but either way it was ridiculous.

You have a fuel pressure sensor for a reason. You have a computer controlled variable pressure fuel pump system that monitors the pressure and adjusts it accordingly for various circumstances. Unless you can monitor what the computer is seeing from that sensor, you aren't going to be able to diagnose the problem.
Friday, October 10th, 2014 AT 6:48 AM