2003 Ford Taurus Ford Taurus

CHRISMARIE
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
I was driving down the street and the battery light and abs light came on the the radio headlight brake lights turn signals went out stayed out car wouldn't start after shut off the next day it started but worried and want it fixed.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 10:09 AM

Follow the smaller positive battery wire to the under-hood fuse box. Be sure that connection is clean and tight. Also follow the smaller negative wire to where it bolts to the body and be sure that one is tight and not rusted.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 3:07 PM
CHRISMARIE
Thank you I'm gonna give it a try I was also told it could possibly be the altenator or altenator wire does that sound possible
Sunday, February 16th, 2014 AT 6:04 AM
Once the warning light turned on, if the generator had failed, the engine would continue to run with the head lights on for around 15 to 60 minutes. (Generator and alternator are the same thing, but to be correct, the term "alternator" was copyrighted by Chrysler). If all of this happened at about the same time, it is likely the generator is not at fault. The engine will run without a working generator until the battery runs down.

You can start the generator testing yourself with an inexpensive digital voltmeter. The testing has to be done while the problem is occurring, to be accurate. Simply measure the battery voltage. It will be 12.6 volts if it's fully-charged, and around 12.2 volts if it's okay but discharged. Next, with the engine running, it must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it is low, there are more tests to narrow down the cause.
Sunday, February 16th, 2014 AT 8:18 PM