Been experencing an engine miss on occassion

TERRYC427
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
Been experencing an engine miss on occassion. Seems to happen when moisture gets into the engine compartment, like after a rain. Then when the compatment dries out the miss either goes completely away, or is barely noticeable.I replaced the plugs about 6 months ago but not the wires, which appeared to be in good shape. Wires to my knowledge are the factory origionals. Could the problem be the wires just need to be replaced since they have 128,000 on them.
Sunday, November 4th, 2012 AT 1:42 PM

IMPALASS
Sparks can still be jumping from the wires even though they look normal to the eye. Sometimes you can open the hood at night and make sure it is a dark as possible and you can see sparks jumping.

Also, take a spray bottle with water in it and start the car. With it running mist water over the various plug wires. When the engine shuttlers there is your spark jump and bad wires.
Sunday, November 4th, 2012 AT 2:26 PM