ALTERNATOR NOT CHARGING

2003 Ford Ranger

bell1614

July, 22, 2013 AT 8:18 PM

I replaced the alternator, cleaned all ground wires, ran a ground directly from the battery to one of the alternator bolts. Check all fuses. Replaced pcm relay. Still will not charge. I had the old alternator tested on it was bad. In so much it was throwing sparks at times while being tested. I have had the new alternator tested twice and it passed both tests.

July, 22, 2013 AT 8:27 PM

IT'S EITHER A BAD CONNECTION. OR A COMPONENT IN THIS DIAGRAM FROM "MITCHELL I" ("CHARGING SYSTEM")

I'M SORTA BETTING ON A FUSIBLE LINK

WHATCHU THINK?

bell1614

July, 22, 2013 AT 8:40 PM

I checked the voltage @ the battery and it ws the same on the hot wire at the alternator so, I wouldn't think it would be the fuseable link. Do you?

July, 23, 2013 AT 1:12 PM

. WELL.

WE CAN SORTA BACK UP!

I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH YOUR TRUCK 1ST HAND

DID YOU HAVE THE BATTERY "FULLY" TESTED AT THE AUTO PARTS STORE. NOT JUST CHECK VOLTAGE WITH A VOLTMETER

YOU ARE CHECKING VOLTAGE AT THE BATTERY. NOT RUNNING, AND THEN RUNNING. WITH A VOLTMETER?

I BEEN A-LOOKIN' OVER THE DIAGRAM

YOU ARE CORRECT (I THINK) VOLTAGE AT THE BATTERY IS THE SAME AT THE ALTERNATOR. MEANING THERE IS NOT A BREAK BETWEEN THEM BOTH

LOOKS TO BE 3 OF THEM FUSIBLE LINKS IN THE DIAGRAM

. RECKON ONE OF THEM IS BETWEEN BATTERY VOLTAGE. AND THE "FIELD"

WITHOUT THE FIELD BEING "ENERGIZED" YOU HAVE AN EGGBEATER INSTEAD OF A "GENERATOR"

CAN YOU TEST FOR VOLTAGE WITH THE KEY ON. ON EITHER SIDE OF THE 3 LINKS?

EVEN FASTER. YOU CAN USE A 12 VOLT TEST LIGHT AND MAYBE "STAB" INTO THE WIRE ON EITHER SIDE OF 'EM!

I TRY TO MAKE THIS KINDA FUN!

LEMME KNOW HOW YOU COME OUT

bell1614

July, 23, 2013 AT 7:16 PM

Yes I had the battery tested twice and it passed with flying colors. I noticed the same thing that you noticed that there are 3 fusable links so, I'm gonna break out the light tester and hopefully find the problem. I really appreciate all your helpful advice and if you have any more suggestions please feel free to let me know. I can use all the help I can get. Lol thanks again. I will keep you posted.

July, 23, 2013 AT 7:21 PM

ROGER

WAITIN' ON GOOD NEWS

bell1614

July, 23, 2013 AT 7:33 PM

Thank you. It's my dad's truck and I'll be headed out there tomorrow to do the testing.

July, 25, 2013 AT 5:10 PM

. ANY NEWS?

nelsonlerch

August, 30, 2015 AT 6:03 PM

One of the fusable links ends is just about corroded off THIS HAPPENED TO ME IT WAS A REAL HEAD ACHE

August, 30, 2015 AT 6:55 PM

HOW DID YOU FIGURE OUT THAT WAS THE ISSUE?

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler