2003 Ford Explorer wont turnover when cranked

NEWSMAKERS
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
The truck ws rattling for a while but drove good I also had been running it low in oil for a while but stilldrove well until I ws driving it home I was going about 60 mph the oil pressure light came on came the truck stop but cranked back up I drove it little futher it stopped again after thel oil pressure light came on but his time the engine will not turn over
Monday, December 30th, 2013 AT 7:14 PM

MIGHT NEAR EVERY OWNERS MANUAL PRESCRIBES CHECKING YOUR COOLANT LEVEL AND OIL LEVEL. WEEKLY

PILOTS DO THIS KINDA THING BEFORE. EVERY FLIGHT!

WEEKLY IS A LONG PERIOD OF TIME

. ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN

. IN THE HOPES THAT AN OPERATOR MIGHT FIND A PROBLEM BETWEEN SATURDAY TO SATURDAY AND ADDRESS/REPAIR/ OR AT LEAST TOP OFF THESE TWO CRITICAL ENGINE NEEDS. THEY WRITE THIS IN THE MANUAL

QUICKIE DUDE LOOKIN' AT IT EVERY THREE MONTHS, JUST DON'T CUT IT WHEN YOU GET YOUR OIL CHANGED

THE OIL LIGHT CAN BE YOUR FRIEND. YOUR RIG MAY BE SLAP FULL OF OIL AND THE LIGHT COMES ON

THE LIGHT INDICATES OIL PRESSURE IS "LOW" OR "NONE" (I PREFER MECHANICAL GAUGES. OR AT MINIMUM A GAUGE)

THE LIGHT MIGHT MEAN "LACK OF OIL"----"A NON-FUNCTIONING OIL PUMP"----MEGA EXCESSIVE ENGINE WEAR. YES, EVEN A FAULTY SENSOR (BUT THE RACKET WOULDA BEEN A SIGN OF A BAD PROBLEM)

WITH THE RACKET YOU DESCRIBED AND THE LIGHT COMING ON, YOU SHOULDA TOPPED OFF THE OIL. IF IT WAS TOPPED OFF. YOU SHOULDA STOPPED RUNNING/ DRIVING IT IMMEDIATELY!

YOUR ENGINE HAS MOST LIKELY SEIZED. PERMANENTLY

SORRY.

. REALLY LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER ENGINE

. OR ANOTHER VEHICLE FROM WHERE I'M LOOKING AT IT

SORRY!

Monday, December 30th, 2013 AT 8:24 PM
Really? You knew it was out of oil and expected the engine to survive? The average life of an engine with no oil is about ten to 20 seconds. When the oil warning light turns on, you're supposed to stop the engine immediately and coast to the side of the road. Usually the engine will survive but often the damage has already been done.

Even when there's at least ten pounds of oil pressure yet, that's enough to keep the warning light off but not enough to properly spray onto the cylinder walls. The walls are scored and the piston skirts will be scuffed. That means boring the cylinders oversize and installing larger pistons. Continuing to force it to run will chew up the crankshaft and the crankshaft and connecting rod bearings. The resulting metal chips that will circulate will plug passages and lifters leading to worn camshaft lobes. The only proper repair is a total rebuild with a lot of new parts. It will be less expensive to find a used engine from a salvage yard.
Monday, December 30th, 2013 AT 10:34 PM