POSSIBLE MOLD PROBLEM

2003 Ford Explorer

gjoiner

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Normal daily driving is OK but on long trips I develope Allergy Symptoms (itchy eyes, running nose, etc.) Since there is no Cabin Filter in this year model can you suggest another possible cause. The same trips in my wife's car are OK.

saturntech9

Do you have any smell coming from the a/c?Also do you run the a/c a lot with the recirculation on?

gjoiner

There is no odor that I notice and No Recirculation. I first thought it was an allergy due to Cedar Trees as the trips are usually from Houston to the Texas Hill Country, but no problem in wife's car.

saturntech9

January, 11, 2011 AT 12:12 AM

That's right yours doesn't have a setting that say's recirculation but you have a setting that say's max a/c which put's the recirculation feature on which close's off the outside air coming in and only circulates the air in the cabin. If you use the max a/c a lot you can build up a lot of moisture on the evaporator core and after you turn off the car that moisture will grow bacterial spore's which can cause smell and your allergies go wild. The best thing to do is if your using the max a/c setting is the last couple of mins before your done driving is turn the a/c off and put the blower fan to high to dry the moisture. They have a/c cleaner's that you can try to see if that will clean the evaporator core and help your allergies.

gjoiner

Thanks. I will try an evap coil cleaner. Maybe they make one called "New Truck"!

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe