03' Explorer Died/ No start

ROBERT RUTHERFORD
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
03' ford explorer 4.0 sohc flex no start just cranks. Checked fuel pressure 65-70 psi at rail, has spark, has 150- 135 psi compression at all cylinders. Tore apart to cams, all chains and guides tight and present no deflection. Bought cam alignment tools and set to top dead center, all line up w/ tools. I've tried to pcm, crank sensor, coil pack. It died on road and has never re-started. Checked for codes has none. I have a snap-on modis and pid monitored this and everything looks good. I've got it to try to fire at times at wide open throttle it catches and shuts off just as fast. Dose anybody have any ideals, something i'm not thinking of? I was a Ford tech for 8 yrs.
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 5:18 PM

BILLYMAC
Welcome fellow ford tech. Since you were a tech you understand we can only help you from the info you give us and we may not be any help at all but we certainly will try.

I noticed you did not mention injector pulse do you have this?
Do you have a 5 volt ref from cps?
Have you checked the eec relay?

Just a few ideas let me know if I can help billymac
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 5:53 PM
BILLYMAC
Also exhaust restrictions
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 5:54 PM
ROBERT RUTHERFORD
I have Injector pulse, checked w/ noid light, it flashes. No exhaust restrictions
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 6:08 PM
ROBERT RUTHERFORD
I haven't messed with this vehicle since last fall. I been debateing on taking it to ford dealer. Hate to do that.
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 6:10 PM
BILLYMAC
Yes I know what you mean. It seems to be defying all the laws of mechs has everything it needs but will not run. Some times when I have this prob I take 6 spark plugs lay them on the eng and crank and watch to be sure all plugs are fireing. I also do the same thing with the injectors to be sure all six are spraying. You can also get a can of f/i cleaner that connects to fuel rail disable primary fuel system see if it runs on the cleaner to eliminate bad gas.I know I am running down the same trail you have been but 2 minds are better theb one so let me know if any of this helps meanwhile I will research. Ty billymac
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 10:53 PM
ROBERT RUTHERFORD
Thanks billymac, I haven't layed out all plugs to see if they all fire but I did replace them all, I wondered about bad gas so I disconnected the main fuel line and pumped it into a jug then dump it on the ground and lit it up. Appeared to be good gas. When I took the valve covers off I did pull the fuel rails w/ injectors and cranked it to see them spray. All appeared good. This truck is possessed, it seems anytime my cars break or somebody I know its always some off the wall problem.
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 11:36 PM
ROBERT RUTHERFORD
I even have ford pced, shop manuals, and electrical diagrams from ford on dvd, they don't really help w/ this.
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 11:37 PM
BILLYMAC
Lol yes because they know a simple prob you would fix instantly I have the same luck. I have an 01 isuzu rodeo that is also possessed let me run this through our database and see if we can figure somerhing out.
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 2:19 AM