2003 Ford Expedition ABS Light On/4X4 High blinking

MTABURADA
  • 2003 FORD EXPEDITION
  • AWD
Truck: 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (no AdvanceTrac)

Symptom:
ABS light comes on after its initial startup test, then would turn off after I drive. But will return permanently after a few minutes/length of travel. When I choose A4WD, the 4X4 High will blink 5-6 times and will repeat this process in about 2 minutes. I will have no traction with A4WD but when 4H is selected, no problem.

What happened:
I parked on a side street full of shoveled snow, so as not to block the way. I didn't want to be in there but was needed to be at that time. When we were ready to move out, I engaged the A4WD but was having a hard time due to a large pile of snow. I backed up to get good grip and went on our way out of the embankment. After a while, that's when I noticed the ABS light coming on.

What's the best way to handle this? Do you have a ballpark amount as to how much it would cost to repair?

Thanks a lot.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 6:23 PM

The A4wd is actuated when the computer senses a rear wheel spin faster than one of the front ones. My guess is that you broke, disconnected, or damaged the wiring to the sensor causing the problem ONLY in A4wd. When you place it in 4wd, that actuator on teh transfer case locks it in, so no sensor is needed to do it for you. To be certain which sensor it is, have the computer scanned.

Let me know what you find.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 7:35 PM