Stalling

JLMTCH
  • 2003 FORD ESCAPE

On occasion, while in reverse, it's as if my battery stops sending power to the car, it stalls, and my oil and battery light come on. I put the car in park, turn it off, start it back up and it runs fine.

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 3:00 PM

WRENCHTECH

You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

My wife drives the same rig.

You can have it off, cleaned, and back on----in 30 minutes or less or the the 1st guy will bring you a pizza for free! lol

This is how EZ it is, I hope this is your problem too!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-ford-escape-rough-idle-at-low-rpm

Keep us informed

The Medic

Saturday, June 18th, 2011 AT 12:23 AM
WRENCHTECH

Please follow the advice I gave you in the first response and don't let the subsequent response confuse you. He insists on confusing people I'm working with. The throttle body and throttle plate is what I asked you to clean. You can remove the IAC also if you wish but following my instructions should get both things.

Saturday, June 18th, 2011 AT 12:32 AM