Fuel problem

DUSTIN34
  • 2003 FORD ESCAPE
  • AWD
I have 2003 Ford Escape its burning lean fuel and it used up 5.6 gallons driving 44miles and I get 25mpg I can smell fuel coming out the exhaust pipe and the check engine lights on sometimes blinks, I changed fuel filter, sparks plugs, catalytic converter and checked for vacuum leaks need help quick?
Friday, March 25th, 2011 AT 5:16 AM

Wife has same rig, 'cept it's 2WD. If the Check engine light is on that means the computer is throwing out a Code! To get a accurate diagnosis, you need to have the codes read. You can get this done for FREE at Advance Auto, Autozone, and some other popular parts stores. Do not take this to heart 'till you get it coded.I suspect you are running "Rich" not "Lean" due to ----"A SENSOR" making your rig remain/ or go into "OPEN LOOP" (Open loop is your car running off of preset values programmed into the computer. Just to make it run, but not to its full potential) Computer cars all do this, when you crank-up, the O2 Sensors (others too) are cold and cannot function until they get warmed up and are able to send REAL WORLD DATA to the computer, so it can efficiently adjust the fuel burn. When these sensors do COME ON LINE, the vehicle goes into CLOSED LOOP and Ever Changing, Real Time Data is fed into the computer to make the fuel burn as good as possible. My suspicions are that you have a O2 sensor problem. It might be that one has gone bad, or maybe the catalytic converter replacement left one disconnected or broken. There are several on your car. Insure that if the "Coding" leads you to a O2 sensor problem. Find out which one, as these puppies are not real cheap items, before you replace all 3 unnecessarily! The parts store guys are generally able to explain what the codes mean, and what you may need to do. Let me know how it goes--The Medic___________thats Mama's Rig sorta behind a "Real Vehicle" (mine)
Friday, March 25th, 2011 AT 12:04 PM