A/C not working

JJSHADY
  • 2003 DODGE STRATUS
I have a dodge stratus 2003 with weird a/c problems. Bought it a year ago. The a/c started not working so I had the a/c recharge and inspected a year ago and it still had problems right after. The dash control unit was acting up and the a/c would only work when I pushed in on the control unit in the dash. We had that replaced and a/c worked for several days and then didn't work. When I took it in for the 3rd time they couldn't get the a/c to malfunction. I got it back and same afternoon it didn't work. Then it started working when engine was cold but stopped working in hot afternoons. When the compressor came on it would work but the compressor would not come on at hottest time of day. Went through the winter and took it back in spring. Through winter compressor would not come on at all. Auto repair place thought they found the problem with a stuck pressure switch and replaced that and a/c worked good for a week. The next week on trip to L A a/c compressor would not come on again when we needed it going by bakersfield. When in LA did not work after two days compressor started working again, but on trip back up to northern calif. Started blowing hot again so we left the a/c on and every 15 or 20 minites the compressor would come om for a few seconds and then would go off. As the air temperature cooled, the a/c worked better and better. What seems to be the problem? I am going crazy with this problem.
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 11:04 PM

KHLOW2008
This sounds like the automatic compressor controller is going out which is common here are diagrams to help you change the unit out. But to be sure here is a guide to help check the wiring and a guide to give you step by step instructions.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please run this test and get back to us.

Cheer
+2
Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 AT 1:31 PM
DENTALFITCHIC
I wish I cam across the is post earlier because I just paid a shop to fix the same thing for $480.00 the part cost $89.00 ! DOH
Thursday, August 9th, 2018 AT 4:20 PM
JULIE CRUM
  • 2003 DODGE STRATUS
I had cold air while driving on the interstate, but when you slow down or stop it blows heat. We bought an eighteen ounce can of refrigerant and put in it. Now when you check the pressure it is in the blue and says it is charged. But, now it only blows heat. There are no leaks, you can hear the compressor kick in and out and collateral is full. What do I do?
Friday, August 10th, 2018 AT 10:53 AM (Merged)
KEN

It sounds like you have a compressor going out, you will need to connect a gauge set to see both high and low side readings.

Here is a guide to help you get started:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-air-conditioner-compressor

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-air-conditioner-not-working-or-is-weak

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
BURNTTATERTOT
  • 2003 DODGE STRATUS
Heater does not blow hot air at an idle. Only when foot is on the gas and rpm about 1,500 or higher. All vacuum hoses are connected. Cannot find and air leak anywhere. What is it?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check coolant level first to ensure there is enough coolant in system.

Thanks for using 2carpros. Com!
AARONC77
  • 2002 DODGE STRATUS
In the car the ac has worked since we bought the car and just one day it would work and then it would cut out for a couple minutes then kick back on did that for a little while then it just started shutting off for days then it will kick on out of the blue. Im suspecting a short somewhere. Im not sure or where to even start looking
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, first are you talking about the A/C Compressor itself or the controls inside the vehicle?

If talking about Compressor it could possibly be the Relay.

If talking about the fan control (hi, med and low) it could be the Blower Motor Resistor.
+1
AARONC77
Well thats it im not sure what is wrong with it because when the air conditioner is running it blows out good cold air and the controls up front work good as far as low medium and high. It just shuts off while were driving down the road while I have the ac set on high. But while the ac isnt working the heater doesnt work either. U can kinda feel cold air through the air vents as you drive down the road but other than that it kind of just works when it wants to.
65CUDA
  • 2000 DODGE STRATUS
My stratus a/c will run for about 15 to 20 seconds when I first turn on the a/c switch then the compressor turns off for about a minute or two and then runs for 15 to 20 seconds again. It will keep doing this and I can feel a little cool air from the vents at first but not much. I have checked the charge and it is within normal range when the compressor is running but it won't run long enough to get a real accurate reading. When I first start the car in the morning the a/c will run much longer and I can feel the difference in the air from the vents but then it starts the short cycles again. I have been trained in automotive repair but have not worked on any of the newer cars in over 15 years so I am familiar with the operation but not the specifics on this model.
LEGITIMATE007
Yeah pressure will read high while the clutch is engaged but. Believe me there is not enough pressure in the system, which means there is a leak somewhere, but if your high pressure switch is bad then it will mimic your scenario. Check the pressure when the ac is on high and the clutch is engaged and then watch the pressure go down when the clutch disengages. If the pressure doesn't go down when it disengages, then its your pressure switch.
BUGMAN
  • 2000 DODGE STRATUSDODGE STRATUS
Climate control knob not responding.2000 dodge stratus, 86,000 miles, 2.4L
DODGE2021
It may just be the way it is, I have a dodge dakota and when it runs for awhile hot air from the engine blows in through the vents slowy, I think its just the climate control valve is maybe messed up. But I have that problem too, but its nto a bad thing.
AAYCOCK07
  • 2002 DODGE STRATUS
I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus 2.4, dohc. The air conditioner only blows hot air out of the defrost even when I have the **** turned to blow out the feet on the face. I used to be able to hit the control head and it would start working and now that doesn't work at all. I was hoping it would just be the control head ( I guess that's what it's called, the thing where the ****s are) so I could just go to the junk yard and get that part. Any suggestions?
You shold get a pro to put a set of guages on the system. You may have a leak and have no freon. Then get it checked out to make sure it's the control head. It could be a fuse/relay, etc. You don't want to put money in to things and then it doesn't work. It costs yo more in the long/short run.
STARRDIVA032468
  • 2001 DODGE STRATUS
AC works for about 30 seconds, blows cold air, then blows hot air like from outside (FL), for about 3 minutes. Then cold for another 30 seconds. Have already changed a clogged piece in the ac system, found one of the cooling fans not working, replaced both. Still not helping. HELP !
Have you had the freon checked? Also, feel like a vent is opening and closing?
2001DODGESTRATUS
  • 2001 DODGE STRATUS
In the last 4 months my AC has stopped working twice.
I live in Austin, TX were it can become very hot and both time the AC has gone out was after being out in the sun for a long bit of time. It works just fine the rest of the time.
I keep my car in a garage so it is kept in the shade and most work days my car is in the shade in the late afternoon for a few hours before I drive home.

That seems to be the difference, when the car is kept somewhat cool and shaded, no issue with the AC, when the car get's heated up by the sun, the AC stops working.

I went to a shop and they said that my compressor was going, but that does not sound right to me. If the compressor was going, wouldn't it just stop working all together?
DOCFIXIT
Hi
To diagnose will need some info. Gague readings high and low side-Vent temp- does compressor stop operating?Did shop say compressor pressure was low?
Let me know
Thanks for donate
2001DODGESTRATUS
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I know the answers.

Gague reading? Do you mean the dash board temp reading? It seemed to rise a bit, but not over heat.

I have no idea if the compressor stops, I hear nothing usual and the vents keep blowing, it's just warm air.

The shop didn't tell me a thing but the compressor was going and needed to be replaced.

My father (who was with me the first time this happened) thinks it's low on freon and when the car heats up it freezes up.