Body repair

PKFORREST
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
2003 Dodge ram 1500 with damaged lower radiator tie bar.

Need instructions on how to remove and replace the lower radiator tie bar.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM

Are you refering to the radiator support? If so, basically the fenders, hood, grill, radiator. Needs to come off. The rad support is welded at the top and bolted to the frame via body mounts. To repair, once everything is removed, the rad support (at the top) will need the spot welds drilled out, the support is then unbolted from the frame and replaced in the reverse order.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
PKFORREST
Not having done anything like this before, if I understand you, there is no way to just unbolt these frame parts to remove the lower radiator support. That there are weld points in the upper frame (guessing by the door) that must be drilled out and then re-welded. Being a first timer should I leave this to a body shop to perform, or can I expect to weld back with good alignment?
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 8:06 PM
Honestly, I have been a mechanic for nearly 30 years. It we are talking about the same part (rad support) I wouldn't do it. I have a 99 Expedition that has a similar problem. I won't do it for a couple reasons. First, it is a huge job, and second, I can't weld worth a %$*. (Lol)

That would be my recommendation. However, if you want to try, sometimes that is the best way to learn. I can try to help you as best I can. I will tell you, there are no printed step by step instructions for the prodcedure. That would help if I could get something like that for you.

Let me know what you decide and thanks for using 2carpros. Com

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 1:23 AM