2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Heater Problem

KHULL
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
Hey Guys,
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 4.7, and now that its getting cold again I've noticed that my drivers side vents only blow cold air, where as my passenger side vents will blow warm air (wouldn't call it hot, like it used to be). Any help with any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 2:07 PM

Check your actuators in the heater, i'm sending a generic pic as to what to look for. They cold be stuck or not working at all. Our site has been downfor a week sorry for the late answers
Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 12:20 AM
KEVINO37920
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
My truck blows cold air when the temp outside is below 20 degrees. Engine warms up fine, but blows cold air. Above 20 degrees outside, operates fine and blows warm air. Any ideas?
Friday, December 7th, 2018 AT 5:47 PM (Merged)
Does the temp gauge get up to a normal operating temp when it's below 20 degrees? If so, I need you to check something. When the heat doesn't work, with the engine hot and running and the heater on high, check to see if both heater core hoses are hot.

Let me know what you find.
KEVINO37920
I will check the next time it does not heat up.

Thank you
FAYESJ
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
Heater problem
2003 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

heater will not work at all just cool or cold air comes out
First be sure the coolant level is normal.

If your temperature gauge is lower than normal, suspect a thermostat stuck open. If the gauge reads normal, feel the two heater hoses. After driving on the highway for 15 - 20 minutes, the hoses should be too hot to hold onto for very long. If they are cool, suspect a plugged heater core. They can usually be flushed out with a garden hose, but don't put more than 15 pounds of pressure on it. If the hoses are hot, suspect a problem with the actuator for the temperature door or its linkage, or the computer module that runs them. (We used to do this with cables and levers, not over-complicated, unreliable, unnecessary computers)!

+3
HOOK7791
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
This is not a dual zone a/c, yet drivers side no heat comes out, good heat on passenger side.
I think you are looking for a vacuum leak in this case. THe vent doors are actuated by vacuum. IF one of the vent doors isn't operating, all kinds of things like this can happen. Check under the dash for leaks. With the engine running, you may hear a hissing from a leak. Keep in mind, there are small linkage parts can come disconnected too so keep an eye out for that too.

Let me know what you find.

-1
W112JJC
Hook7791, What ended up being the issue? Did you fix it? I have a 2003 Dodge Ram with the same issue. I need help!
-1
AIRBORNE101
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
I had a heater core replaced, the old one gave plenty of heat but started to leak, since I replaced it, the heat last for two min. I've had it in the shop 4 times now and they keep telling me the core is getting clogged, i've replaced three radiators, thermostate, water pump and now the third core. No problems with the heat untill all these changes were made, the Mechanic is trying to sell me on the fact that it coming from the sediment on the bpttom of the engine, could it be from the aftermarket replacements? HELP ! IM GOING BROKE Real fast. Thank You
BMRFIXIT
A good Flush to the coolant system should stop the clogging of the heater core
BWOLFF0809
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
I get very little heat out of the heater, I have checked and both the top and bottom heater hose are hot when the engine is up to temperature.
Friday, December 7th, 2018 AT 5:48 PM (Merged)
Check the air blend door if its in the heat position-also if it has a heater control valve check that too-
MPRUE135
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
At idle, very low to no heat on drivers side. Passenger side works fine. Heat on drivers side does heat after driving for a while but heat coming out of vents on that side drops when I pull up to a stop light or when vehicle is at idle. What might be the problem? And will I be able to fix it myself? I live in maine where heat while driving is usually a wanted feature.
FIXITMR
You likely have an HVAC control door issue on drivers side. Also your heater core may be starting to restrict flow due to sludge buildup. Wouldn't hurt to backflush it if it's never been done before.
DUBECKY
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
Heater will not throw out hot air
WRENCHTECH
With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If they are both hot, the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.
-1
Check to see if your blend door is operating also check coolant level first if low fill it then have a pro pressure check for leaks. May be a head gasket
OLEFRANK
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
  • TURBO
My heater works, making hot air, and my air conditioner works making cold air. The fan works at all speeds. However, I can't change where the air comes out at, no matter where I switch the knob to. I would guess that the switch is bad however I don't want to just throw parts at the truck. I really like my Dodge and want it to work. Could you help me?
SATURNTECH9
Can you hear any clicking noise when changing the different air positions? It could be a bad mode door actuator let me know about the clicking noise and we will go from there.
-1