2003 Dodge Neon overheating

FAITH1981
  • 2003 DODGE NEON
Hi I have a 2003 dodge neon I bought a couple days ago it only seems to overhea when it been driven for awhile I changed the thermostat there's no smoke coming from the exhaust it happens all the sudden then when it cools down its fine for awhile it doesn't leak and the fans come on when their supposed to please help I'm going crazy
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014 AT 7:42 PM

Have you tried flushing the radiator and engine block? Are any of the radiator hoses collapsing?
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014 AT 7:52 PM
FAITH1981
I haven't a couple of people have told me to take the thermostat out but I don't know I have limited funds I saved up to buy the car I don't understand why when I replaced the thermostat it started running better then overheating
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014 AT 7:59 PM
First, removing the thermostat in a newer car is NOT a good idea. In addition to keeping the vehicle from overheating, the thermostat keeps the engine hot enough for all sensors to work properly. If the engine doesn't heat up to operating temp, it screws up sensor reading for the computer which in turn changes how the engine runs.

Let me ask you this. Does the car only overheat when in city traffic or does it also do it at highway speeds? Also, have you considered flushing the radiator?
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 7:27 PM
FAITH1981
It only overheats while on city roads it was fine on the freeway then about 2 moles off the freeway it overheating people keep saying it might be the water pump or head gasket I'm scared I have lost my job because my car broke down 3 times on the way to work I'm not trying to whine but I don't know what to do and have very limited funds I can't thank you enough for giving me advice and answer my questions
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 7:35 PM
At this point, it is hard to say exactly what is causing it. Since it doesn't overheat at highway speeds, I feel the water pump and the head gasket should be fine. Understand, the head gasket doesn't care if you are moving or not. I really think we should start simple. First, when it is overheating, look at both the upper and lower radiator hoses and make sure they are not collapsing and restricting coolant flow. I also need to know if the heater is working properly. If not, there could be a simple air block in the cooling system. Next, if the hoses are good and the heater is working, I would recommend flushing the radiator. It could be partially plugged and causing this problem.

Let me know if you can do these things and what you find.
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 8:03 PM