Crankshaft position sensor location

DODGEPROB
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

Cannot locate crankshaft position sensor. Have gotten different answers. If possible a pic or detailed location would help. Also, what parts need to be removed to access it? Do you replace from the top or do you have to get underneath? Have heard top is easier but can't find it so I don't know. Can you see it looking into engine compartment from the top?

Saturday, August 15th, 2015 AT 9:32 PM

The crankshaft position sensor on a 3.3L and 3.8L is on the rear of the transmission bell housing right under the back of the rear cylinder head. It was real easy to reach from on top on '95 and older engines, but after they redesigned the Caravans for 1996, it became easier to reach it from underneath.

Here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

The original design required a paper spacer on the end to set the critical air gap. A lot of aftermarket replacements have a thin plastic rib molded on the end to set the gap. When you remove and reinstall one of those, you're supposed to cut the remaining rib off and use a new paper spacer. The later design doesn't use a spacer.

+1
Saturday, August 15th, 2015 AT 10:36 PM
DEREK REDDEN
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

We can't find where it is located

+1
Saturday, July 29th, 2017 AT 7:49 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

On the back of the motor by the trans bell housing. It picks up a signal from the flywheel. It has 1 connector and a 10mm bolt.

HIGHWAYMAN9011
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

WHERE IS THE CRANKSENSOR LOCATED ON A 3.3 CARAVAN? GOT CRANK SENSOR CODE, WHEN VAN STALLS THE ASD RELAY AND THE FUEL PUMP RELAY CYCLE ON AND OFF, IT DOES THIS WHEN IT SEEMS TO WARM UP. STARTS WHEN COLD. DIDNT SEE SENSOR ON THE TRANNY, WAS TOLD IT WAS ONTOPOF TRANS INLINE WITH THE FLEXPLATE. DIDNT SEE IT. SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROBLEM ALSO? SEE ALOT OF THREADS ON THIS PROBLEM BUT DIDNT SEE ANY FIX FOR IT.

BMRFIXIT

Right side of engine under exhaust manifold
let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_caravan_33_1.jpg

+5
HIGHWAYMAN9011

[quote="BMRFIXIT"]Right side of engine under exhaust manifold
let me know

Thank you very much, Its my girlfriends car and its making me nuts. Are the symptoms common? Any other ideas? I will change sensor on Monday, I have to weld a broken trailing arm on her windstar, great girl but crumby luck!

Thanks again, will post when done

Anthony

GRIZZBEAR62
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

I have a Haynes repair manual for my for my 2003 Dogde Grand Caravan it says the location for the crank shaft sensor is on the upper part of the transaxle bell housing above the differential and to access it from underneath.
I have looked all around underneath on the back side of the engine. Can anybody please help find the location of the sensor any help would be appreciated.

Thank yoy

That's where it is, but it's much easier to get to it from the top. It's right in the crack between the engine block and the transmission bell housing, right behind the rear cylinder head. Be sure to use a spacer to set the critical air gap. A new sensor will have either a paper spacer glued to the end or a thin plastic rib molded onto the end.

-2
GRIZZBEAR62

I appreciate the answer but it is there something I missed because the camshaft sensor had a paper spacer I didn't see any with the crankshaft sensor didn't have any is there something I missed?

+1

If the crank sensor came from the dealer, it had a paper spacer glued to the end. It slides off as soon as you crank the engine, but by that time its job is done. If you install a used sensor, the dealer's parts department has replacement spacers. Most aftermarket sensors have a thin plastic rib molded on the end to set the air gap. If you reinstall one of those, you're supposed to cut the remaining part of the rib off, then use a paper spacer.

If there was no spacer on a used sensor, it is possible to stick it in too far and the ring on the flex plate can break it. Some people think they can just stick it in as far as it will go, then pull it back 1/16", but that usually doesn't work. Pushing it in all the way could place it exactly where it is supposed to be, then when you pull it back, the gap is too big. That results in a no-start condition or intermittent stalling.

GABRIEL51

I'm about to change this crank angle (position) sensor on my 2003 Dodge Caravan and by looking at the replacement part there is no depth adjustment, the sensor bolts hard against the surface.
Maybe the earlier models used a spacer to control the depth.
For those wondering what this cardboard spacer is for, it's to allow the sensor to "sit" at the right distance from the flywheel.
It is scrapped off the first time the flywheel moves (when you start it)

That's what I said. The older crankshaft position sensor design was identical to that of your camshaft position sensor. No adjustment is possible or needed with your crank sensor but it was critical on the older style.

OPIOGIL
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 79000 miles

Where is the crankshaft sensor located on the caravan?

Here you go Sir

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cps_14.jpg

+1
BSTEWARD
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Where is the crankshaft positioning sensor located?

CH112063

It's located mounted on the transaxle in the rear side you'll see it mounted with a 10mm bolt. It senses the torque converter revolutions. K

Saturday, July 29th, 2017 AT 7:50 PM (Merged)