SHOULD I REPLACE MY TRANSMISSION CONTROL SOLENOID?

• Roses-R-Red
  • 2003 Chrysler 300

My engine light came on and codes are P1776 and P0700. I have checked the shifter cable adjustment, changed my train fluid and filter, replaced input and output speed sensors, and checked relays. Also, last year I replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensors and pigtail, water pump, and timing belt. The last thing I can thing to do before I actually have to take it in and have the tcm and pcm replaced is to replace the transmission control solenoid. Should replacing the solenoid fix this problem? I have read that these solenoids are a very big problem with the 300m's.

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 4:52 PM

• hmac300

Do yourself a favor have a trans guy look at this as you may have a bad seal or clutchplates worn out before dumping more money int othis. This culd also be a software upgrade for this as well for the tcm it can also be a l/r pressure switch problem.

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 5:02 PM
  • Roses-R-Red

One of the issues is the valve body is stock in the LR position, that is why I want to know if replacing the solenoid will fix that issue, if I could afford to have someone else fix it trust me I would do just that, I can not afford the part and labor for this type of job so I am stuck doing it myself for now. Can u tell me if the solenoid can contribute to this or not?

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 5:12 PM
  • Roses-R-Red

OK thank U so much for nothing. If I could take my car to a train shop, I would! I would not be here asking for input. I have enough knowledge to fix some things on my car to save me even a little money. I am def not happy with the damn answer I got here, which was a whole lot of nothing, I could have called a shop to get the answer I got here! I will never use this cite again rest assured! Enjoy my donation *#$*&%#!

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 5:24 PM
  • hmac300

Your donation will be returned.

+1
Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 7:01 PM
  • 2CarPros Mike
  • Admin
  • 712 posts

A transmission shop will give you a free estimate to see if the problems we described are happening. You can still do the work yourself after the inspection. Throwing parts at a problem can get expensive. We have refunded your donation. We would never consider keeping your money since we were not able to help.

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 7:27 PM
  • hmac300

I know you are ticked off, but here is whatthis explains about the l/r causing you to think your solenoid is bad. This is directly from chrysler in our manual that we have.
Name Of Code: P1776(47) Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position

When Monitored: Continuously when doing partial or full EMCC (PEMCC or FEMCC)

Set Condition: If the transmission senses the LR pressure switch closing while performing PEMCC or FEMCC. This code will be set after two unsuccessful attempts to perform PEMCC or FEMCC.

Theory Of Operation: The solenoid switch valve (SSV) controls the direction of the transmission fluid when the LR/TCC solenoid is energized. SSV will be in the downshifted position in 1st gear, thus directing the fluid
to the LR clutch circuits. In 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, the SSV will be in the upshifted position and directs the fluid into the torque converter clutch (TCC).

When doing PEMCC or FEMCC, the LR pressure switch should indicate no pressure if the SSV is in the TCC position. If the LR pressure switch indicates pressure while in PEMCC or FEMCC, EMCC operation is
aborted and inhibited to avoid inadvertent application of the LR clutch. Partial EMCC will be attempted if the LR pressure switch does not indicate pressure. A second detection of LR pressure results in setting the code.

Transmission Effects: At speeds above 72 Km/h (45 MPH), EMCC is inhibited. Once speed falls below 72 Km/h (45 MPH), the transmission will go into Limp in mode and the MIL will illuminate after 5 minutes of
substituted operation.

Possible Causes:

Valve body Solenoid valve stuck in LR position
Intermittent short to ground or open circuit in LR Pressure Switch Sense circuit (with code 24 only)
Solenoid pack (with code P0841(24) only)

+1
Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 11:26 PM
  • Tpeterson36

Was helpfull to me because my tranny dhop is trlling me I need a new or rebuilt tranny and were do I get the softwere uprgrad.I would like to do that and the lr solenoid if that would postpone or fix my probelem thanks

Saturday, May 14th, 2016 AT 2:20 PM
  • hmac300

The software upgrade needs to be done at a dealer it won't fix the problem however. Especially stuck in position. It may be the switch on trans that tells what gear it is in but that is a long shot.

Saturday, May 14th, 2016 AT 4:21 PM
  • Tpeterson36

So a safer bet would be to chaing the solenoid since he says thats one of the codes. Or should I be lookin for another tranny.I just bought the car and I only feel the hard shift into second say when I dont it warm up and I police cruise it clunks into second. But if I take off withe more gas it shifts fine. Im just not tryin to buy a tranny now. Thx

Saturday, May 14th, 2016 AT 4:51 PM
  • hmac300

Sounds like a pressure problem but most of us mechanics don't do auto trans. Or it's a seal starting to go.

+1
Sunday, May 15th, 2016 AT 8:20 AM