Code P1345 and rough idle with stalling

LISA<>?
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
I have a code p1345 cam crank sensor correlation and very rough idle with stalling. When I look at the engine sensor data it appears that both cam and crank sensors are functioning and communicating with PCM. There are no PCM attempts to re-sync with either sensor.
Also, this engine was operated very low on engine oil and when I first evaluated it was three quarts low. My guess is a stretched timing chain, but this is a huge repair. Any ideas?
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 7:16 PM

You should check the freeze frame data and check whether a code p0014 has set as well. This could also be a cam phaser stuck or failed that has caused this. I would think that would be more likely then chain stretch.
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 7:32 PM
LISA<>?
If it is the cam phaser, the solenoid is working and my scan tool shows that it is not advancing. Because of the code p1345, the PCM stops cam phasing when it sets the code. However, I am interested to see what kind of sludge is in and around the physical advancer. Sludge? The solenoid is good.
Unless I have overlooked a check that can be done without removing at least the valve cover and inspecting and then possibly going farther to remove timing cover and checking timing, I feel like thats I my next move.
Advancing solenoid, cam and crank sensors are good. Have I missed an easy test?
+6
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
I do not think so. It could be chain stretch but they have tension-er's on them to keep stretch to a minimum and I have seen a lot of these go many miles before having this issue. If it is sludge you could always try choke cleaner to clean it off and free it up maybe. But as you said in the initial post this was run low on oil for a while so I guess your next move is go over everything and pull the cover. I am sure you will find something from doing that.
+1
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011 AT 11:22 PM