Voltage gage in dash flictuates from 9 to14 volts but alternator is good and battery is good

ADAMQWERTYUIO
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Voltage at battery when truck is running is steady at 14.4
Friday, August 26th, 2011 AT 5:26 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
I believe the voltage REG/REC is not in the alternator. Not sure as I don, t have a manual for your truck.
There could be al loose connection r even bad voltage gauge.
Get a multi meter and test at the battery. Check voltage with all accessories. Then while starting the car and lastly when reading low. Voltage should be between 12 and 14. Your gauge is
Friday, August 26th, 2011 AT 5:43 PM
CB60
Did you ever find out what was doing this? I have a 2002 doing the same thing.
Thanks, Chuck
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 7:14 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
The best way to see if there is a fluctuation in the charging system is to test the actual battery voltage at the posts with a multi-meter. Setting the multi-meter to DC voltage touch the leads to the battery, with the engine running. If the voltage in the battery fluctuates, normal voltage is 12-14.4 while running but at a steady state, like the volt meter, then there is a charging problem or the battery could have a dead cell.
To test the battery, perform a the same test with the engine off and see if the voltage is stable. It will be 12 volts unless just driven and then it will be between 12-14 volts.
If there is a charging problem then the alternator needs to be tested and the most common problem is the voltage regulator.
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 10:46 PM