What can cause excessive cranking to start in 2003 Silverado

THEBOSS
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2003 silverado excessive cranking to start at times. 5.3 engine reguler fuel. Fuel pressure 55lbs.A little low.I have replaced fuel regulator due to leaking and also installed check valve in line near fuel tank. But still cranks excessive at times. Shouldn`t check valve hold the pressure for starting? What could be the problem? Thanks Jerry
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 4:49 PM

Sounds like you need to replace the fuel pump -check valve
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 5:00 PM
Also go to this link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-cranks-excessively-before-starting
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 5:02 PM
THEBOSS
Thanks rasmataz how can I e-mail you I do know there is a check valve in the fuel pump but the one I installed inline should hold the pressure up shouldn t it? Thanks
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 5:16 PM
Take the one out on the inline and concentrate on the fuel pump side-
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 5:19 PM
THEBOSS
Rasmatas, The check valve I put inline is on the pressure side before filter, (Is filter line the pressure line or side?) The company where I purchased it said that was the purpose of this check valve. What would you think?-Thanks-
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 5:31 PM
THEBOSS
Hi rasmataz I was wondering if you had a chance to review my last reply on my check valve, it is an (inline check valve)that was installed inline on the filter line before the filter as close to the tank as I could get it but truck still has excessive cranking at times -Thanks-
Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 2:00 AM
Replace the fuel pump-before you do this check and test the coolant temperature sensor
Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 10:43 AM
THEBOSS
The temperature sensor test fine. -Thanks-
Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 10:32 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Check for fuel pressure bleed down. Turn the key on and verify that you have around 55 pounds. Then turn the key off and see if the pressure bleeds off slowly or quickly. If quickly, the pump should be replaced and your secondary check valve is also not doing what it was designed to do.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 5:28 AM
THEBOSS
Thanks rivermikerat, he has been driving it and I m going to change the valve (secondary)just to to make sure the secondary has failed, I have had new parts fail before. It will take me a few days to get back to it. I did not know the temp. Sender fed info. To the ignition or the pump all I could do was an resistance test.( Is that why I was told to check it?) I ll let you know after I change the valve again.-Thanks-theboss-
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 8:04 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
I'm honestly not sure why he had you test the coolant sensor. Let us know how these new tests go.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 6:26 AM
THEBOSS
Well it s been 2 days now and the secondary check valve seems to be doing the job. Wne I first started into this problem as noted the fuel pump pressure spec. Is 60 psi but this truck has been running fine at 50-55 psi and thats what it is doing fine so far on with secondary valve, starts again within the 3 sec. Range. Will keep watching and post if it changes. Thanks again!
Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 2:21 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Pleasure. Let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.
Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 3:29 AM