OVERHEATING

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

hanch56

June, 14, 2011 AT 1:22 AM

Engine overheats when I use the AC.

saturntech9

June, 14, 2011 AT 2:18 AM

When the car overheats are any of your cooling fans running?If so which ones?

hanch

June, 14, 2011 AT 4:22 PM

Fans seem to be running, but when the AC is turned on I hear a lot of clicking and the idle goes up and down. Also having trouble logging in and out.

saturntech9

June, 14, 2011 AT 5:24 PM

Check and see if that clicking is the a/c compressor cycling on and off?Also when its overheating are both fans running on high?Is there a lot of air being pulled thru them?Have you checked the radiator and a/c condensor for being blocked with plastic bags debris like sand dirt animal fur etc?Sometimes it's hard to see the blockage of the fins. Also what size engine do you have?

hanch

June, 14, 2011 AT 6:05 PM

Yes it is a 3.4 motor. The clicking is the AC compressor cycling on and off. The fans are running but do not seem to change speeds at all. Did not find anything blocking the radiater.

hanch

June, 14, 2011 AT 6:16 PM

OK I just went out and checked out the fans behind the radiater. The one on the passenger side spins freely. The one on the drivers side does not spin at all.

saturntech9

June, 14, 2011 AT 7:03 PM

If the fan motor is frozen up solid and wont turn then sounds like you have a bad fan motor I would replace it. Sounds like that is your problem causing thr overheating and a/c compressor to cycle from too high of pressure from the fan being inop.

hanch

June, 14, 2011 AT 7:30 PM

I believe that is the problem. Thanks for the help. I remember having that replaced last october, I'll check to see if it is warranteed. Thanks again!

saturntech9

June, 14, 2011 AT 11:38 PM

Your welcome thats what were here for keep me posted on if that fixs the problem.

hanch

June, 15, 2011 AT 7:53 PM

Just got back from the shop that repaired the car last Oct. And they will fix it free of charge. It is the cooling fan assembly. I was very surprised they were so nice and apologetic. Thanks again your diagnosis was right on.

saturntech9

June, 15, 2011 AT 8:58 PM

Your welcome thats what were here for. If you decide to make a donation please make sure you say this is for saturntech9 that way I get credit for it.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer