Transmission problems with newly replaced transmission

BRANDEE01
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Enter your question.I own a 2003 chevy impala ls. Had nothing but good things to say about it for 219k miles. Then the engine went out. Well gas was $4+ at the time and car was paid for. So engine replaced by dealer. Then the transmission went. Ok I am in for the long haul, so replace it. During repair, dealer breaks exhaust manifold and burns spark plug wires. Repair manifold, spark plug wire discovered later. 22k miles into the new transmission its full of handfuls of metal shavings and dealer has to send me to yet another dealer to honor warranty because they had to 'let the tech go'. Go to another chevy dealer and explain situation. Diagnosis is yes, its full of metal and we will replace it again. Ok. Less than 1 week later the check engine light is on and the transmission feels like I am being rear ended when I take off from dead stop once its all heated up. Suggestions?
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 5:29 PM

Call chevrolet and tell them what has happened. These should have a warranty on them. It may be a faulty trans that you have. Make sure to check the fluid so there are no leaks either. It sounds as if there is a remanufactured trans in it and it should have soem type of guarantee. Unless there is soemthing else wrong like a shaft or something.
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 5:52 PM
BRANDEE01
Thanks for your time and promptness. I know this sounds more like a rant than anything else, but I wanted to ask an unbiased ear if perchance there were any known issues with the replacement transmissions used or have I somehow managed to find 2 faulty ones (or two crummy dealerships). The first new transmission came with a 3yr/100k warranty same as the new engine. The second new transmission was installed under that warranty and it is identical to the one it replaced and the warranty remains in effect. After talking with GM and explaining the situation and mentioning that I was 1:30 away from home, had no plans to come to shop that day and certainly didn't expect to be told that I was stuck literally hitching a ride through absolutely no fault of my own other than I had enough faith in my chevy to dump that much into it, I was given a case number and a gee we are so sorry for that. Hmmm one would think I would have learned my lesson from the 1985 pontiac fiero I had in school.
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 8:58 PM
I worked at GM in engineering for 31 years. And your problem is one I used to hammer all the time to superiors about standing behind their product as well as not making customers come back to thedealers for the same problems. However they will stand behind their product. Having a case number helps even though you are stuck where you are. They will follow up on this beleive me. However I am happy that you got 219K trouble free miles out of your car before this. That would have never happened in the past.
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 9:16 PM
BRANDEE01
Thank you. Such a hassle. Ha. I am determined to get 500k out of this thing although the calling and pestering may kill me. I also had a '93 sunbird coupe with the v6 and a manual transmission that had 210k with NO TROUBLE until its rear end met with a dump truck. Believe me, I have been a loyal customer from the beginning even with 2 honking piles in the mix (aforementioned fiero and a 95 monte carlo) but this is wearing me down. I must be getting old. Thanks for the support.
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 9:50 PM